• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any freedivers in Boston?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Scott Hopkinson

Jan 22, 2003
I'm an ocean enthusiats and wanting to get started in freediving. I'm looking for any one in the Boston area who might be interested in attending a training session down south any time in the next year. Let me know if youre interested. Scott.

Here in Boston

I'm new to freediving and looking for a buddy. I went freediving a few times on Cape Ann last fall.

I'd probably be interested in taking a course in or around Miami within the next year, if that's what you mean by down south.

Hey I was starting to think that noone in the boston area was into this kind of thing. I've been diving since I was 13 and done some meditation and yoga over the past few years and thought that freediving would be a great way to incorporate both. you can write me back at scott_h_20010@yahoo.com or else give me a call at 9788529337 if you want to talk further about possibly gettting some instruction.

Hey guys.

I've landed in Boston 2 days ago. i'll be staying in Framingham (30 mins from the big city) for the next few weeks.
If there's some wet action besides the rain here, i'de be happy to join.

Michael.

Reactions: loopy
BOSTON FREEDIVERS

Greetings, Boston and New England freedivers.

I was once like you.

I lived in gloomy Newton, MA, or as I thought of it, "Neuter, MA".

My absolute favorite freediving spots were Folly Cove, in Cape Ann, and Fort Wetherill in nearby Rhode Island.

Once, at Folly in the autumn, as I descended in poor visibility about 100 meters off the left point of the cove, a pair of eyes suddenly stared back at me from below. And then a face, or, rather a part of a face appeared and drew nearer. I flared my body to stop my descent, not terribly calm anymore. There, resting on the bottom in about 60 feet of water, was a seal with a big chunk missing from its head. Quite dead, of course, and quite freshly so, as the animal was otherwise intact.

This seemed like a clear indication of the inhospitability of this time and place, so I surfaced and swam back to shore for some quiet contemplation.

Fort Wetherill is fabulous. Slack tide only, please. Swim out to the little island at the mouth of the cove, and there, on the ocean side, one can sometimes see large pelagics and, in the late summer and autumn, tropical swept in by the displaced Gulf Stream. My best day there, though, was when, swimming back in to the rocky shore at the bottom of the granite cliff one must negotiate to get to the water, I was treated to a marvelous ritual involving drunken college girls leaping from the top of the cliff into the water ! Thank you, University of Rhode Island.

Enjoy ! If I get up there this summer for som respite from the South Florida heat I'll let everybody know and maybe we can get something going.

Paul Kotik

Newbie in Boston

After several years of scuba, I decided to try out freediving and spearfishing. Would love to team up with a few folks to do some diving/fishing over the summer. I live in the Boston area, but am willing to travel anywhere in MA/RI (maybe NH). I am also talking to a couple of dive shops in RI about intro to spearfishing.

Anybody interested to buddy-up? Pls email me or give me a call on 617-572-2519 (during day).

Scott, Seamonkey, are you guys still around? Did you find a good freediving course?

Paul, that's quite a scary story.

Jan

I am a newbie in Boston also! In fact, I just ordered a 5mm wetsuit. I already have a mask, I need to pick up fins as well.

I did a bunch of "snorkeling" & diving down with a friend in Jamaica in February, it was so much fun that both of us are getting wetsuits to go in New England. I am looking forward to going in RI frequently this summer, I will down there for several weekends.

Actually, Pkotik, do you remember where you enter the water at Ft. Wetherill? Do you go in by the boat ramp (where all the scuba divers go) or over in one of the coves?

Also, I saw the divers had a little innertube w/ "diver down" flag on it. If you go out to the island, do you need something like this? Or do you just stay close to shore & keep an eye out?

I'm looking forward to having good gear. In Jamaica I had only swim goggles and swam down to 25-30 feet a bunch of times and experienced SEVERE sinus pain. It took about 4 weeks for my sinuses and eardrums to return to normal after that trip.

Boston Freedivers

Hey -

Are any of you Boston types still around? I've only messed around with Freediving, but would really like to get into it. I consider myself a snorkler/freediver-wannabe. Anyone going to Cape Ann soon?

GW

Ahoi, this summer from juli 27 to august 12 I'm in Boston. Are any of you still around and like relaxed dives, maybe haunt? send me an PM.

By the way, how is the water in this time? visibility and temperature? any good point or tour must see in this area?
Folly Cove, in Cape Ann, and Fort Wetherill is noticed thanks pkotik.

me: AIDA** and evey Thursday training in the dive club near stuttgart (germany).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT