• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any freedivers/spearo's in Brisbane?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bevan dewar

Sep 26, 2001
Hi.

I'm about to immigrate to Brisbane from South Africa and was wondering what the diving is like around there and if there might be any freedivers I could tag along with?

Thanks for any help

Bevan

Reactions: DeepThought
Hi Bevan,

Brisbane has some nice waters around it but if you want anything deep it would have to be boat based. There's plenty of spearfishers around Brissy but not that many pure freedivers. Haico Aldering lives up there though and i'm sure he'd be keen on getting a dive buddy. Try the forum on these websites:
www.ozfreediving.com
www.spearfishing.com.au
www.spearfishing.net.au
www.extremespearfishing.com.au

Good luck, and see you in Brissy in a couple of years (my wife's from Brisbane so we're settling there when we get home from London).

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks Ben. Glad to hear there are a lot of spearos. I'll check out those sites and maybe post there. Also thougt to visit the dive shops when I get there. cheers

b.

No probs mate. The big shop up there is Adrenaline (www.spearfishing.com.au). Actually on that forum I think there is a freedive club called Freedom Divers. Might be a bit stagnant at the moment but a bit of interest injected would fire them up again. Some good spearing north of Brissy too from what I hear.

I am looking to do some freediving training on the Sunshine Coast, in Queensland Australia between 16 September and 2nd October. I am happy to pay an instructor/coach for some coaching sessions. If anybody knows of an instructor/coach in that area who might be interested in cpaching/intsructing me, please let me know.

PBB

Hey Bevan did you make any contacts I dive the KZN south coast and will be moving out to Brisbane early next year if you are keen to say in touch let me know I am popping out for short visit next month.

Hi Pete.

I moved to Perth last week I'm afraid. I made one good contact over there whos boat I went out on on a fairly regular basis. Can put you in touch if you pm me. Good diving over there. cheers

B.

Hi Bevan,

I have sent you a PM with contact details.

regards

Andy

Hi Bevan,

Are you in Australia yet? :) My name is Wybrand du Toit and I'm also immigrating to Brisbane Australia. I expect to arrive their in Feb 2008, or maybe even sooner since my permanent residency visa has allready been issued.

I've just completed my NAUI openwater and did a few dives at Sodwana. Scuba diving is nice and interesting, but I must admit I'm more fascinated by freediving and think it's a whole lot more sporty.

I enjoy sport a lot and are actively involved in road running, triathlons, open water swimming events and cycling. Now I've also added scuba diving to the list.

I want to start out on freediving and is looking for buddys in Brisbane. So yeah, if you're looking for a rookie with zero experience to join.. then I'm interested! :)

Take care,
Wybrand

Hi Wybrand,

This thread is a bit old. Bevan has since moved to Perth on the other side of Australia. Things as I hear are a little quiet in Brisbane as far as freediving is concerned. But try the forums on all those links I mentioned above, you may be able to find a dive buddy.

Cheers,
Ben

Hey Wybrand, Will also be moving out in Feb. really keen to get in the water don't mind free diving but like to fetch dinner while under the water.Lets stay in touch

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT