• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

any info on south of france

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

paddyc23

Rascacio
Jul 8, 2007
Hi everyone, im heading to the gulf of leon to martega in the south of france in october november time, has anyone been there before?....Im going to check it out on google earth next but has does anyone know anything about spearfishing in that part of france and the south of france area?...does one need a licence?...types of fish etc?...It would really help me out, thanks

Are you sure you are coming to France? Martega is in Italy, and there is no Gulf of Leon in France. If you rather mean the Gulf of Lion, then it is in the western part of the French Med coast, but I still know no place here with a name ressembling Martega.

If you come to the Gulf of Lion, then be ready for rather cold water - it is the ever coldest place of the Med. Water temperature is usually same as on the French Atlantic coast. In October it usually drops below 15°C rather early, and in November it may be sometimes as low as 10°C. Even in top summer it often happens that the water temperature is just 17°C.

OK, I believe you probably mean Les Martigues - at the delta of Rhone and close to Marseille. That's already a better part of the coast than the rest of the Gulf which is mainly sandy and with bad visibility. I do not know Les Martigues, but suppose it is rather shallow and sandy in that place, but I highly recommend that you take a car or even better a train (very romantic railway! And with a car you'll have problems to enter some of the villages anyway) and go to Niolon or one of the other villages on the coast in the direction to Marseille). The bottom is rocky, and you can get to interesting depth (+20m) immediately. It is one of the most beautiful parts of the French coast. There are even corals, which is rather unusual in this part of Med or in Med in general). Also the water temperatures are much higher here than deep inside the Gulf of Lion. As for spearing, I cannot advise you, but you'll find plenty of threads about spearfishing regulation in France, here on DB. And as anywhere else in the Med, do not expect plenty of big fish. However, since you are located in Spain, you probably know that.

A good spot is located in front of Carry le Rouet "Rocher de l'âne".
In swimming along the coast to St Croix (West) or to Méjean (East): A lot of of spots ("tombants, dalles, ragues, épaves..").

Spearfishing probably not allowed from Nov 1st to spring...

Attachments

• logo_jpeg_en.jpg
    logo_jpeg_en.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 294
Yes, you need spearfishing licence. It is not difficult to get it. You can do this in any decent diving club. Rules are pretty much the same as in Spain or Italy. I went in September and I could only buy licence until the end of that year. I do not think they sell licence for a week or a month.
My licence was something like 30 euros. I cannot remember exact price, but it was not too expensive.
You can find price list here:
http://www.ffessm.fr/ffessm/pdf/Tarifs_2007_2008.pdf
Perhaps someone will be so kind to translate this to English/Spanish for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Licence cost is 33 euros (including insurance), one year only.
No scuba, day only, not with torch, no grouper capture...

Attachments

• subaqua logo 2.jpeg
    subaqua logo 2.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 297
Virgili you said that in france wen you recieve ure licence, no torch, does that mean no torch during day and night?

Night spearfishing is not allowed. Using a torch by spearfishing during the day is not allowed (for ex. in a cave..).
SF less than 500 feet of a fishing boat or a net is not allowed.
Loading the gun out of the water is forbidden.
Selling the fish is not allowed.

Hi, guys. I am sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am thinking of heading to the southern coast of France and I'd be grateful for any tips (PM me or post here) for spearfishing, particularly not far from Montpellier (100 km or so). Thank you!

Bump: Hi, guys. I am sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am thinking of heading to the southern coast of France and I'd be grateful for any tips (PM me or post here) for spearfishing spots, particularly not far from Montpellier (100 km or so). Thank you!

Was told that "La digue de la grande motte" is fishy... Early morning you have to swim there with the sun in your back. the sea bass/ loup is the main target!

Reactions: hyeparis
Hi, everyone. I have come back from Montpelier and decided to share my impressions of the southern coast of France. Unfortunately, visibility remained very low off Montpellier for all the days I spent there, so while I did try twice to dive off the jetties there, I did not see any decent size fish. I also tried asking a local diving shop expert on spearfishing for some advice after buying some stuff from him, but he was not helpful (the shop is though well stocked - and is located at Palavas-les-Flots, so if in the area, suggest you check it out if you run short of anything related to spearfishing). In the end, I opened google maps on my phone in satellite imagery regime and scrolled up and down the shore to find sports where there were no continous sandy beaches. I found that the closes of such spots were located south west of Montepellier rather than north east of it, so I travelled there by car. It took me about 1. 45 min to get to Port Vendres and I was not disappointed – it was all rocks and clear visibility (7-10 meters) with some acceptablsize mullet and sea breams – make sure you dive outside the port’s jetties, however, as diving inside is prohibited. I did not find any fish under the rocks, however – both breams and mullet cruised in mid-water or above rocks. I also went down to Leucate, which was about only one hour from Montepellier – visibility was not as good as in Port Vendres, but still much better than in Montepellier (5-6 meters). It also had less fish than Port Vendres (one reason was, perhaps, that it is frequented by spearos). Overall, I was pleased to dive in clear waters if only for two out of more than a dozen of days I spent there – great contrast after the Atlantic ocean off New England (though far far less fish)

Hi, everyone. I have come back from Montpelier and decided to share my impressions of the southern coast of France. Unfortunately, visibility remained very low off Montpellier for all the days I spent there, so while I did try twice to dive off the jetties there, I did not see any decent size fish. I also tried asking a local diving shop expert on spearfishing for some advice after buying some stuff from him, but he was not helpful (the shop is though well stocked - and is located at Palavas-les-Flots, so if in the area, suggest you check it out if you run short of anything related to spearfishing). In the end, I opened google maps on my phone in satellite imagery regime and scrolled up and down the shore to find sports where there were no continous sandy beaches. I found that the closes of such spots were located south west of Montepellier rather than north east of it, so I travelled there by car. It took me about 1. 45 min to get to Port Vendres and I was not disappointed – it was all rocks and clear visibility (7-10 meters) with some acceptablsize mullet and sea breams – make sure you dive outside the port’s jetties, however, as diving inside is prohibited. I did not find any fish under the rocks, however – both breams and mullet cruised in mid-water or above rocks. I also went down to Leucate, which was about only one hour from Montepellier – visibility was not as good as in Port Vendres, but still much better than in Montepellier (5-6 meters). It also had less fish than Port Vendres (one reason was, perhaps, that it is frequented by spearos). Overall, I was pleased to dive in clear waters if only for two out of more than a dozen of days I spent there – great contrast after the Atlantic ocean off New England (though far far less fish)
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in this thread. I visited both spots because of your post and Port Vendres is my absolute favorite spot. So thanks again, you helped me a lot!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT