• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any Scuba instructors on this site?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greendiver

Sea fanatic
May 2, 2005
I have been on this site for some time now, the scuba part is not the most popular one.
I just wanted to see if there are any instructors aboard? and maybe spice it up a bit!
By the way I am about to start the IDC (instructor development course).:friday

There are a bunch of us: Amphibious, Island Sands, Samantha (course director now!), Chad Carney, Jimdoe2you, and plenty of others as well.

I go to other sites for scuba info, but even then I just don't find myslef too interested in the scuba thing right now- been teaching since 1984 and find freediving much more interesting.

Jon

hi green diver,
an instructor's forum could be good :)
i am on a roll in teaching at the moment, i have started a Women's Only Scuba lessons venture in Dubai :)
www.divasindubai.com
website is not ready yet... Cliff Etzel is designing it and I hope he finishes it soon :)

i have been a dive master since 96, i didnt really enjoy the teaching/course assisting aspect. I liked playing the role of dive guide much better so found the IDC fees a bit unjustified :)

There are a bunch of us: Amphibious, Island Sands, Samantha (course director now!), Chad Carney, Jimdoe2you, and plenty of others as well.

I go to other sites for scuba info, but even then I just don't find myslef too interested in the scuba thing right now- been teaching since 1984 and find freediving much more interesting.

Jon

To be honest with you, the freediving aspect atracts me more too, however, I like to be around and in the sea, and if possible, making some money with it.
People used to tell me, there is no money in diving, ok, I think it must be hard to become a millionaire rofl , but until now I have been more then fine:friday ( languages seem to be a huge advantage)
The IDC has surprised me (positively) though, there is more to it then I thought!

In June I will do a freediving course...:)

i have been a dive master since 96, i didnt really enjoy the teaching/course assisting aspect. I liked playing the role of dive guide much better so found the IDC fees a bit unjustified :)

Yep, the fees are a bit..I was never planning to become an Instructor either, just happens...do not want to sit in an office anymore!!rofl

When/if you start to teach, you'll realize that the cost of the IDC is indeed justified, especially if you are part of a small class. The amount of time/effort that goes into teaching is not reflected in the cost of most classes, including the IDC.

I imagine most other instructors will agree with me -- we teach not for the monetary gain, but for the love of it. We want to share our passion.

When/if you start to teach, you'll realize that the cost of the IDC is indeed justified, especially if you are part of a small class. The amount of time/effort that goes into teaching is not reflected in the cost of most classes, including the IDC.

I imagine most other instructors will agree with me -- we teach not for the monetary gain, but for the love of it. We want to share our passion.

Yep, I agree on that, however, I think that people interested in becoming an instructor must go through the whole thing, you know they might be an AOWD, then they must go through the other steps, the courses, equipment, dives, fees etc..a lot of money...
Overhere there is an IDCcollege that adverts "becoming an instructor for free (internship), from OWD to OWSI, worth 15.000 euros!

Another thing, I love to teach, and love to be in and around the water, that is my passion, and obviously, I do not do it for the money either!:)

I love teaching diving, and cant wait for the cool weather to go away so people will start getting back in the water.

roll on the spring....

some one said me to once, if you want a million dollar dive centre, then start with 2....

I love teaching diving, and cant wait for the cool weather to go away so people will start getting back in the water.

roll on the spring....

some one said me to once, if you want a million dollar dive centre, then start with 2....

Or 4..:)
Same here, but cool weather?, conditions must stil be good over there...

I bet there are many more scuba divers here than it seems. I'm a PADI, Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT.) Scuba has been it for me, for many years. I'm just beginning to free dive.

diver_gent

I've been teaching PADI since 2000 (MSDT) - love the classes esp the junior ages. Have moved away from the diving these days and focus more on free diving and spearfishing. The best thing about teaching is you get to meet so many great people from all over the world!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT