• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anybody dealt with Hammerhead spearguns?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My friend at the dive store made a screw in band, they are not that hard to make the bigest problem now is to find the screw end tips.
You mean for the wishbone? Have you considered switching to a dyneema wishbone?

So wat ya do to your self that made you switch to cord bands?

I had the articulated metal wishbone snap on me out of the blue in Guernsey. Luckily had no fingers near it, but it scared the bejeezus out of me and wasn't sure if I'd find a replacement.

Dyneema is safer and easier to swap out.

Reactions: jimy286
I guess everyone has different preferences to set ups but I like open muzzles & dont find loading a problem but I did find twin bands a real pain.
A slider on an enclosed track was my main set up last year, I tried that gun with twin 16mm bands but settled with a single 20mm & dyneema.
However I am going back to my mamba 90 for this year!

I've fired my mate's riffe euro with open muzzle. Found it much easier to sight the fish without obstruction. Loading was no issue, and I liked the double band setup - easier to load as each band was thinner than if it had been single. Also gives you flexibility to reduce power for fishing close to the reef.

Spotted Dave's Omer XXV opened up in Guernsey last summer, and was convinced it was something I needed to try for myself after that!

But yes Mart, as always YMMV!

I played around with building a double band hammer head enclosed track woody. This was a techy drawing from last year sometime.

Dave

Attachments

• HH.jpg
    HH.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 149
I think this should be framed!! Foxfish talking nicely about band guns!!!! Tho you had to add the last bit!!!!rofl

I guess everyone has different preferences to set ups but I like open muzzles & dont find loading a problem but I did find twin bands a real pain.
A slider on an enclosed track was my main set up last year, I tried that gun with twin 16mm bands but settled with a single 20mm & dyneema.
However I am going back to my mamba 90 for this year!

Reactions: foxfish
You mean for the wishbone? Have you considered switching to a dyneema wishbone?

I had considered, but most of my shafts in Brazil are the regular knocht shaft the dyneema wishbone wears out too quickly with those shafts. Would I have the shark fin shafts in Brazil, I would definitly would have switch to a coord wishbone.

Dave the design looks great, I think the wings help, at least with my cayman the shot was more quite, the gun is also very accurate.

I had considered, but most of my shafts in Brazil are the regular knocht shaft the dyneema wishbone wears out too quickly with those shafts. Would I have the shark fin shafts in Brazil, I would definitly would have switch to a coord wishbone.

Dave the design looks great, I think the wings help, at least with my cayman the shot was more quite, the gun is also very accurate.

You can sand the notches in a regular spear down mate, and take off any sharp edges. Then it take s a dyneema wishbone no probs. Did this successfully on my Beuchat 75 whilst waiting for the muzzles. I used a Dremel tool and some wet and dry to finish...

Reactions: strangelove
Milkman, any news?
I have been looking at the hammerhead muzzles, they only take 14mm bands & cost about £30! Do they fit over a 25mm barrel or inside? Not much model choice really!
Think I will have to make one myself.

Just got the best/ most needed piece of gear from HH....

The screw/ drag for my seatec real...YYYYYes

Tried a norman screw and that rusted and lock the reel...after much huffin and head scratching got it out.

Day is made

Milkman, any news?
I have been looking at the hammerhead muzzles, they only take 14mm bands & cost about £30! Do they fit over a 25mm barrel or inside? Not much model choice really!
Think I will have to make one myself.

Hi Mart,

My order is in UK customs - should be here this week. As soon as they arrive I'll post...

The HH muzzles can take bigger bands than 14mm. I know for a fact they also do 16mm as that's what I have on order, one loaded with 14 mm and one loaded with 16mm.

One of the design features is that the holes are tighter than normal muzzles, to prevent the bands slipping through and loading the spear unevenly (if that makes any sense - imagine one rubber slightly longer than the other...)

They are expensive, but are incredibly strong - there's a youtube vid of one of the guys dropping it off a tall building and it doesn't shatter. Also they placement of the holes is supposed to prevent muzzle lift making them more accurate than a normal open muzzle, especially when loaded with double bands.

They make 2 sizes - 25 and 28mm. The 25mm barrel size (Beuchat etc) fits inside the barrel. Can't say for sure about the 28mm.

As you can probably tell, I did a lot of research before I made my purchases - after all, for the amount I'm spending, I could have bought another gun altogether! :)

..yeah I know, Ben. But my rationale was this:

1. I know I like my Beuchats already- their handles feel good to me
2. The trigger mechs are good
3. I like the idea of open muzzles and bulk rubber bands
4. I want to upgrade the shafts to pinned shafts anyway - would have to do this on a new gun
5. I'm bored because it's winter - buying a whole new gun will only make me want to get in the water more, whilst 'projects' might take my mind off the lack of fish!

Still, if I don't like the results I'll really kick myself...:head

Reactions: Mr. X
Milkman

I've actually putted two 20 mm bands through mine, just a little soap they slip right in. It will not take the screw in bands.

Reactions: Mr. X
Why so much power Strangelove?

X

What happen here is, I only use this gun with one 20 mm band (penty of power), but the gun is in Brazil and I am in Alaska, so my friend picked the gun to hunt on blue water. I've told him that is too much power for that gun, I don't think he ever fired a shot.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT