• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anyone interested in going to Azores?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

naras3

Feb 25, 2009
Hello everyone
I'm planning a spearfishing vacation in Azores this summer (2022). Yet I live in a country where it's illegal and there are no local spearos. Maybe someone would be keen to join?
Drop me a pm

Hello everyone
I'm planning a spearfishing vacation in Azores this summer (2022). Yet I live in a country where it's illegal and there are no local spearos. Maybe someone would be keen to join?
Drop me a pm
When is the peak season for tuna? Are you trying to exclusively spear bluewater pelagic fish? I am interested. Do you know of a captain that does bluewater spearfishing you are thinking of going with? I too am often stuck alone. Last trip I went to french polynesia and spearfished completely alone (except for a boat driver that didn't go in the water). I speared a dogooth tuna and large mahi. There were more sharks than I had ever seen in my life and the fish were deep and current very strong, so I do not like doing such extreme diving alone, but nobody would go with me on such an expensive far away trip.

Reactions: naras3
When is the peak season for tuna? Are you trying to exclusively spear bluewater pelagic fish? I am interested. Do you know of a captain that does bluewater spearfishing you are thinking of going with? I too am often stuck alone. Last trip I went to french polynesia and spearfished completely alone (except for a boat driver that didn't go in the water). I speared a dogooth tuna and large mahi. There were more sharks than I had ever seen in my life and the fish were deep and current very strong, so I do not like doing such extreme diving alone, but nobody would go with me on such an expensive far away trip.
Well, I'm no expert of Azores, I've just been there on holidays last year. But from what I gather the peak season for tuna is April-June, yet for any other pelagic fish the best season is when the water gets warmer, July-September (marlins, amberjacks, dolphinfish, etc). I'm not keen to try targeting tuna season, because the weather would be colder and more unpredictable, other fish not there yet and the tunas are not guaranteed neither. So I would rather go to Pico island second half of July.
I know of a captain who does bluewater charters, with a couple of larger boats. It was too expensive to hire for me alone, so haven't had experience with that crew. And I know a local spearo who has a RIB and could take us out, although not too far into the ocean.
So depending on the weather I would be happy with 3-4 bluewater day trips, and shore diving when the weather is not good to go on a boat.

I would like to travel other places as well, so if you know some great location, be it french polynesia, let me know :)

I have never tried Farmer John bottoms, perhaps it's possible to have the top half 3 mil and bottom 7 mil. Then having no beaver tail wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Well, I'm no expert of Azores, I've just been there on holidays last year. But from what I gather the peak season for tuna is April-June, yet for any other pelagic fish the best season is when the water gets warmer, July-September (marlins, amberjacks, dolphinfish, etc). I'm not keen to try targeting tuna season, because the weather would be colder and more unpredictable, other fish not there yet and the tunas are not guaranteed neither. So I would rather go to Pico island second half of July.
I know of a captain who does bluewater charters, with a couple of larger boats. It was too expensive to hire for me alone, so haven't had experience with that crew. And I know a local spearo who has a RIB and could take us out, although not too far into the ocean.
So depending on the weather I would be happy with 3-4 bluewater day trips, and shore diving when the weather is not good to go on a boat.

I would like to travel other places as well, so if you know some great location, be it french polynesia, let me know :)
If the dolphin are generally large it and marlin are common I could he interested but tuna is my preference.

Where I went in Polynesia was fakarava atoll. I'm despite its remoteness it was already pretty heavily fished. I had to work very hard for those fish and didn't see many others....so I really think going to the most remote locations is the best.

It's hard to plan those trips and who will take you. You just have to show up to an island and ask ppl I think if it's extremely remotenwhere they don't use computers.

The best options although the most expensive are long range live aboard trips...because the boat will be very safe and advanced and the ppl taking you will know where to go.

Hello everyone
Drop me a pm

Hey buddy, I'll be in the Azores for 3 months this summer (May, June, July).
Staying on the island of Terceira but keen to travel to other islands for short trips if a good spearfishing trip presents itself.

Will send you a message!

Reactions: naras3

I know this is very far from where you live but would you be interested in panama in about one month for yellowfin tuna?

I know this is very far from where you live but would you be interested in panama in about one month for yellowfin tuna?
I would be keen to come actually, have been thinking about Panama as an option beforehand. But already got everything set for Azores next month. 2 weeks starting 14th of July. Tickets, car, accomodation, you're welcome to join. Maybe lets connect on social media and keep in touch for future plans. I'll send you a direct message (y)

Hello everyone
Drop me a pm
Azores consist of 9 islands. You never mentioned where in particular you will be. I am spearing there regularly for the past 12 years at least. Going mostly from the shore since I am not equipped for BW and it would get expensive soon. I can probably arrange a few BW boating expeditions for you on San Miguel. No idea about the cost. Now, Graciosa is not very good, Santa Maria and Faial has a lot of protected zones, Terceira and San Miguel require a boat in general - overfished. That leaves Pico, Corvo, Flores and Sao Jorge. Out of all of them Corvo is the best. On the rest going from the shore you can get a bonito, an amberjack, a bluefish, a trevally, a barracuda. Saw wahoos a few times but my gun does not have the range. To go from the shore be prepared to fight strong currents and be ready to turn back immediately if you get carried away. Get a small boat if you can even for a non-BW trips. You will pay for the gas and maybe 20 Euros for a local trip.There is fewer and fewer fish on Azores. Send me a PM with particular questions

this is a bit out there but im going to cape verde 15th-22 december, currently just me going, id prefer another buddy to dive with. can have upto 4 divers on the boat. drop a pm if interested

Azores sounds like an awesome spot for a spearfishing vacation. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a fisherman myself, but I know there are plenty of people on this forum who would be interested.

Have you checked out www.costaricafocus.com? They have some great resources for planning all kinds of adventure vacations, including spearfishing trips. Even if you're not planning on going to Costa Rica, they might have some useful tips and recommendations for your trip to Azores. I hope you find some fellow spearos to join you on your trip! If I hear of anyone who might be interested, I'll be sure to send them your way.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT