• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anyone use a VHF DSC radio?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Verdant

Apr 24, 2017
I use a kayak while spearfishing and only have a mobile phone as a means of calling for help. The RNLI recommends a handheld vhf dsc radio for kayaking, but it seems like you need training, licensing etc to use one.

Anyone here using one, what's the process?

I use a kayak while spearfishing and only have a mobile phone as a means of calling for help. The RNLI recommends a handheld vhf dsc radio for kayaking, but it seems like you need training, licensing etc to use one.

Anyone here using one, what's the process?
You don’t need any license or training but you do need a registration number.
https://www.boatus.com/mmsi

That Ybw thread will tell you everything that you need to know, I was going to reply with advice but no need now (y) The process is so simple, I recently did it myself, you can't go wrong ;)

That Ybw thread will tell you everything that you need to know, I was going to reply with advice but no need now (y) The process is so simple, I recently did it myself, you can't go wrong ;)
I always take a dsc/vhf radio on the bouy when going out diving. In Denmark you need too be examined and certified in use of vhf and dsc radio. I do not have the dsc certificate needed but I have got a mmsi number fra the british authoritives just by applying online. I think that if i need the radio in case of emergency, it really dont matter where the im registreret. As Long as some one answers the call [emoji4]

-søren

Sendt fra min SM-G900F med Tapatalk

I always take a dsc/vhf radio on the bouy when going out diving. In Denmark you need too be examined and certified in use of vhf and dsc radio. I do not have the dsc certificate needed but I have got a mmsi number fra the british authoritives just by applying online. I think that if i need the radio in case of emergency, it really dont matter where the im registreret. As Long as some one answers the call [emoji4]

-søren

Here are the link to ofcom where you can register for a mmsi no. Remedier to do it as a private person.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/online-licensing-service

-søren

The ofcom licence registers your radio and provides an mmsi number which allows you to monitor the channels and broadcast in an emergency. If you wanted to use the radio for non urgent communication you are expected to have a certificate in the competent use of VHF radios, a certificate issued by the RYA, the royal yachting association, this one costs though and involves online or classroom based learning. If you would only ever broadcast in an emergency, the RYA print a very good book in the use of VHF radios at a fraction of the price of the course, the book is available online. (y)

It’s interesting that the UK requires a course in the competent use of a radio. The US doesn’t and its obvious when you hear people taking. I was a jet pilot in the USMC for 20 years so efficient commutation comes naturally but of course most people don’t have that background.

When I go on friend’s boats most of them don’t even turn on their radios and that bothers me. I feel that I have a responsibility to hear distress calls from other boaters. And many
People who do have the radio on have it tuned to just the working channel they are using so they wouldn’t hear distress calls on Channel 16. All modern radios have a dual watch capability which lets you listen and talk on a working channel but allows calls on channel 16 to over ride the working channel.

Reactions: Pinniped72
I know what your saying Bill, at first it seems like just another thing to be licenced for but I can understand the logic, having the channels cluttered by lots of waffle and trivia. Even if your just going to use the radio in a case of emergency, you should know how and what to broadcast so that assistance can be offered quickly and accurately. Its perfectly possible to self educate and the book I mentioned is excellent for those that would like to (y) I feel that if someone has a vessel with a radio they are honour bound to monitor the emergency channel, just my opinion :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT