• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea and Nicotine?

OrcaOrca

Mar 20, 2024
Hey fishies!

There's something that's been weighing on my mind since I started getting more serious about my freediving goals and possibly competing in the future. I've been using nicotine pouches (don't know how common they are outside of Scandinavia, but they're little white pouches you put under your upper lip -- most contain tobacco as well but the type I use is white) for a few years, and I've been wondering what affect it's having on my times.

Obviously, I get that smoking has a hugely negative effect on your performance due to the toll the smoke in itself takes on your lungs, but nicotine overall also contributes to elevated heart rate and raised blood pressure.

So, does anyone have any experience with this? Do you find that quitting nicotine has had a positive influence on your breath-hold times? Through the power of magical thinking, I like to believe that it doesn't make a huge difference, but realistically, it probably would, and I will quit if necessary.

Thoughts on this and sharing personal experience would be much appreciated!!

-- OrcaOrca

If you're thinking of competing quit! Nicotine also hardens and narrows your arteries bringing less blood to the heart and weakening it. This will obviously be detrimental to the amount of o2 your body is carrying and will get serious at depth.
I've been on and off a snus user for years. I haven't had any for over a year now and a feel better for it. I've never been interested in competition, but I can say whenever I've been off it for any length of time my dives feel much more comfortable.

Reactions: OrcaOrca
If you're thinking of competing quit! Nicotine also hardens and narrows your arteries bringing less blood to the heart and weakening it. This will obviously be detrimental to the amount of o2 your body is carrying and will get serious at depth.
I've been on and off a snus user for years. I haven't had any for over a year now and a feel better for it. I've never been interested in competition, but I can say whenever I've been off it for any length of time my dives feel much more comfortable.
Thanks for your reply! I guess I'll bite the bullet then -- today is my last day of snus. I might be grumpy for a few days but I've no doubt it'll be worth it!

Reactions: Irishdiver
Thanks for your reply! I guess I'll bite the bullet then -- today is my last day of snus. I might be grumpy for a few days but I've no doubt it'll be worth it!
Snus is weird. I actually find it very easy to give up, but once I take 1 portion, buy one 1 box.....bang! I'm addicted again and start taking it all day. Complete cold turkey is the only way :cool:. Good luck.

Reactions: OrcaOrca
Snus is weird. I actually find it very easy to give up, but once I take 1 portion, buy one 1 box.....bang! I'm addicted again and start taking it all day. Complete cold turkey is the only way :cool:. Good luck.
I did quit once before, properly quit, but then made a conscious decision to start again because I felt it was worth it -- it's been the one vice I've allowed myself haha. So I know it can be done, but man it is NOT fun. I get these weird snack cravings. :cautious:

Wanted to give a little update -- I've been off snus for over two weeks now and trained for the first time in maybe a week yesterday, and nearly doubled my personal best in DYN. So I'd say it's definitely had an effect! :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT