• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea running - Beginner's version

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mlaen

Making progress...
Jun 22, 2003
I tried to do apnea running (100m running 50m apnea) but it didn't worked...I better should do 100m running 25apnea running or something like that but this is what I thought it might be better for beginners:
1st Version: Walking for X meters and apnea running for Y metters
2th version; Running for X meters and apnea walking for Y meters

I tried 1st version and it's very easy for beginners so for now i would do that but only if it's effective so...what do you think Which of theese versio
ns would be more effective?

I don't recommend any movement while breathing. The general pattern I found works best is:

X seconds apnea exercise
Y seconds recovery breathing, no movement
X seconds apnea exercise
Y seconds recovery breathing, no movement

i.e.
30 seconds apnea hiking up-hill
stop, no movement, recover for 30 seconds

Thus, forward movement or exercise is never allowed while breathing.

My opinion.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Originally posted by efattah
Thus, forward movement or exercise is never allowed while breathing.
Eric, did you just hit on that through trial and error, or is there a theoretical underpinning on why that works?

Both. Trial and error showed it worked better, but also, if you think of it, while recovering between freedives, you don't move, so the stop-and-breathe approach is more similar to diving anyway.

Besides, you want to maximize the length of the apnea-exercise phase, and this is best accomplished by resting during your breathing. If you exercise during your breathing, you will not be able to hold your breath as long during the exercise phase.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

So, if I do just apnea walk, I should:
1. x sec of apnea walk...
2. y sec of resting (not walking...)
3. x sec of apnea walk
I'll try that tommorow... don't know if will it be apnea walk or apnea running...
Anyway, thanx!

How about working with the x/y ratios like in a CO2/O2 table?
Why this is never done by people who uses apnea exercise (stairmaster, jogging, hiking....) ??

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT