• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea suit VS. Regular Suit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

apnea newbie

May 26, 2001
Im thinking of buying a new wetsuit. Anyone got any suggestions on a good one. I need a 5 mm suit, cause the water in northern sweden never seems to get warm :Duh

And one more question...
What is the difference between a Apnea suit and a regular wetsuit really ???

I wonder how I did that?

For some reason I posted my reply to you under the thread about fins:confused: Angus

Go with the Apnea Wetsuit

I can tell you from first hand experience that a suit specifically designed for freediving is a crucial key to a comfortable dive.

They have no zippers, are typically made of the highest quality Japanese Neoprene, and are so flexible, that you will swear it is almost like having sex (well, ok maybe not - but it sure makes a difference in your comfort level:D)

I have 2 Picasso wetsuits - an older 7mm Wine colored Camu and a 3mm Apnos - they are both so comfortable, that I will never buy a standard wetsuit again.

Off the top of my head, the 2 manufacturers I would recommend are Picasso America and Omer

I hope this helps answer your question...

Safe diving!

Thx Cliff !

I heard that the Picasso's are warm, really warm.
I dunno bout u guys trying the picassos, but i am no cocktaildiver exactly, in the middle of the summer the temperature of the water i dive in is between 15-20 Celsius... so i need a suit that can keep me warm for hours of diving :)

Which thickness should i go for ? 3,5,7 mm ?? I was personally thinking bout 7, but perhaps that will be to warm. Any suggestions ?

I typically dive in water temperatures that range between 44 - 54 degrees F. I find that a 7mm suit is perfect for these conditions. I think a 5mm BioTermic would do just as well, but since I can't afford one yet, I am still diving with my 7mm Camu.

Go with the 7mm suit - you won't be sorry.

7mm

I use the 7mm Picasso biotermic and was just diving last week in water that about 20 c at the surface and 8 C at the second thermocline at -10.6m. I was very warm, but not uncomfortable at the surface, and when I went down it felt refreshing. I stayed in forover three hours. Octo has the 5mm apnu and is planning to buy the 7mm because he is getting cold after about 2 hours in 10c conditions. I got the 7mm biotermic because Roger at Picasso spent a lot of time explaining how the different suits worked and asked lots of questions about where, under what conditions, and my style of diving. I am very glad I listenned. Octo bought his at a local retailer and did not talk with anyone; instead he was saving money. I want a 5mm, and 3mm, and ... well you know how it goes. Gear is fun. Octo was telling about his friend who is teaching him to spearfish, who is on the national spearo team and is sponsored by Picassso. When he went over to her house to borrow a gun she had piles of gear, much of still wrapped. His voice was got all wistful and dreamy sounding as he described different guns, suits, masks, etc. I controlled myself because of a will of iron. I'm pretty sure that I only whimperred once or twice. Angus

Re: 7mm

Originally posted by Angus
Octo was telling about his friend who is teaching him to spearfish, who is on the national spearo team and is sponsored by Picassso. When he went over to her house to borrow a gun she had piles of gear, much of still wrapped. His voice was got all wistful and dreamy sounding as he described different guns, suits, masks, etc. I controlled myself because of a will of iron. I'm pretty sure that I only whimperred once or twice. Angus

LOL! - Must have been either Brandi Easter or Jean Lundeen...

a take on Homer Simpson: :"mmmm, freediving gear... sacrilicious..."

Safe diving...

Yes indeed

Hey Cliff, I'm pretty sure it was Jean Lundeen, whom he met through Brandi who took the Krak-LeMasters course with him a month ago. Octo was telling me about his first day hunting and what big help he was. Seas were running strong and high and visibility was low. After period of time Octo hurled his chum (vomiting for those of you who are not into all the technical jargon) and went into shore to warm up. Jean came in later and thanked him for all the fish he brought in. Are you going to be able to join us this Sunday up at Waldo? The weather is looking good. Got to get in the water, my skin is losing its silky condition. Angus

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT