• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea Tables Question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

joesmosax

May 11, 2004
I just started doing apnea tables(dry), and I'm very new to the sport. I've been doing the table every other day.

Here is what I have been doing:

2 min breathup
first hold is 20 seconds
rest 2 minutes
and add 15 seconds to each following hold with 2 minute rests(8 holds)

I end up with a final hold of 2:05

My question is this:

The final hold is almost as easy as the first hold. 2:05 is not a struggle at all. I read that you are not supposed to max with tables but should the final hold be as easy as the first?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi,
I guess you are doing an O2 table, where you train your ability to withstand low concentrations of blood O2 (i.e: you train past
your CO2 tolerance point, or the beginning of contractions). With this table you must begin
with near 50% of your max and end in 90% of max, around 8 holds with a fixed rest/breathup time.
So, first you must determine your max hold time.. do you know it?

Also, the first holds you are talking about (20 seconds) are too short to be in your O2 table, they must be around 50%.... are they warmup holds?

Oh, and yes, as long as the rest are long enough to recover, last hold should be hard, but not too much. If it begins to feel easy, you must do it a little longer, asuming your body has compensated for this training and you have a new max, so your 90% time of this max is longer

Any doubt, just ask.. lots of top freedivers arounhd here

Thanks for the advice. I only tried to Max once and I stopped at 2:40. I'm not really sure if that is my true max.

I will take your advice and up my table holds.

Thanks,
Joe

Ok... asume your max is around 3:00, so your 02 table should
begin at 1:30 and end around 2:10-2:30. Work to your first hold (1:30 by doing a 30 seconds hold, 2 min breathup,1:00 hold, 2 min breathup).

Also you can do CO2 table, which are designed to stop each hold
around your 50% max time, decreasing your rest/breathup between holds. These tables trains to make the comfortable part of the hold longer. It goes like

30 min & 1:00 min warmup holds, then:

1:30 hold, 2 mins breathup
1:30 hold, 1:45 mins breathup
1:30 hold, 1:30 mins breathup
1:30 hold, 1:15 mins breathup
1:30 hold, 1:00 mins breathup
1:30 hold, 45 secs breathup
1:30 hold, 30 secs breathup
1:30 hold, 15 secs breathup (if you can afford this :) )

The general opinion is that CO2 tables produce a physiological adaptacion (increased blood buffers) and O2 tables are mere psychological (SP??) training. Don't have a founded opinion about this, but I only do CO2 tables because I want to enlarge my "comfortable" time under water. No need to "strugle" under water... to me it must be a pleasure.

Cheers and let us know about the results!!!

Oscar

hey im a newb too, this is what i've been working on so far.

2 min. breathup, 25 sec. hold
2 min. breathup, 35 sec. hold
1:30 breathup, 45 sec. hold
1:30 breathup, 55 sec. hold
1 min. breathup, 1 min. hold

My max is only around 1:30-1:45 right now, and thats pushing it. I'm hoping to be up to at least 3 minutes after this summer, more bottom = more fun!

Thanks for all the help.

I wasn't sure what the difference objectives for the O2 tables vs the Co2 tables. I will give the Co2 tables a go.

Thanks again.
Joe

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT