• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea training for a surfer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
What is your goal? If it is to hold longer while surfing, I would say the mental aspect of breath hold is probably the most important. Staying calm, moving slow, swimming slower to the surface. Everything slow motion and relaxed. My favorite description is: "jellyfish like", just go with and absorb everything, don't fight anything. I saw a video of I believe it was Slater in a pool a while back doing some breath hold training, and he was having his friends knock him around as he tried to stay calm and extend his time.

Before holding your breath, breathe in and out "slowly", from deep inside your diaphragm. This way, you are expelling low-quality air from your lungs. Inhale for five seconds, then hold your breath for one second, before exhaling for ten seconds. Continue to breathe deeply for two minutes, and make sure that as you exhale, you push out all the last "remaining" air.
As you exhale, push your tongue up to touch your teeth. This will form a valve, which helps control the breathing of the air out. Your inhalation should make the wind hissing as if you were breathing out.
Deep breathing allows your body to absorb more oxygen, compared to normal, and store it in your blood cells. This helps when you hold your breath and your body can use the stored oxygen to continue its functions, even when you are not breathing again.
Removes CO2 from your lungs. When you hold your breath, the pressure you feel in your lungs is not the result of the need to breathe, but the result of the amount of CO2 that is being released, compressed to be released. This formation of CO2 becomes more and more uncomfortable over time. To minimize this CO2 generation, it is necessary to purify any previously existing CO2 in your lungs, before holding your breath. Let's do this:
Exhale forcefully, pushing as much air out of your lungs as possible. Puff your cheeks while doing this, and imagine you are trying to blow into a toy sailboat to move it across the water.
When you fully exhale, inhale quickly and repeat. Try to keep your body as still as possible while doing this, to avoid expending any of the stored oxygen from the previous steps. 2 player games
Inhale and hold for one minute and thirty seconds. This is a training process that allows your body to adjust to the feeling of no air. Use a stopwatch to count down for 90 seconds, and don't try to hold your breath for longer than this.
When you breathe in, don't inhale so much that your body seems to want to explode. This will put pressure on your body and cause you to consume more energy. Instead, fill only 80-85% of your lung capacity so you still have some space to relax.
When the 90 seconds are up, exhale quickly to free your lungs from the used air, then do three breaths, inhale and exhale completely. This is known as a semi-purification process.
Repeat the process of deep breathing and purification, then hold the breath for two minutes and thirty seconds. When the first 90 seconds of exercise is over, repeat the deep breathing and purging exercises. Do each exercise at intervals of one minute and thirty seconds.
When the process is complete, inhale and hold your breath for two minutes and thirty seconds, timing it with a stopwatch. Don't try to hold your breath for longer than that.
When the time is up, exhale to release the used air and go through the semi-purification three times. Do this with two minutes of deep breathing and one minute and thirty seconds of purification. Now you're ready to try holding your breath for as long as you can.

Been surfing for almost a year now and have been progressing quite fast IMO. Yesterday, I surfed a 6-7 clean break and had overall one of the best days of surf ever. There was one wave where I felt like I went over the falls twice. I felt my breath going and the last few seconds I struggled to get to the surface. I also run high level cross country so my cardiovascular strength is there. Any tips on how to increase the time I can be held under water? Pretty scary for my first time.

https://www.myaarpmedicare.review/

some of the top pro surfers take a freediving class. It gives them a good background for whatever they face.

There are some exercises to hold your breath for a long time, I think applying them can help you hold your breath for longer. @john

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT