• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea Weight Training?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

x_yeti

Jan 1, 2006
Hi

I'm a landlocked freediver with access to a 30m flooded opencast mine for training. I'm a bit limited for depth, but would like to train for CNF. I've managed 30m but can't go any deeper unless I take a shovel down with me.

I've been thinking of ways of dry training for CNF and came up with apnea push-ups. Basically I breath up, hold my breath, do 10 push-ups, stop and lie still for as long as possible and then finish with another 10 push-ups before breathing again. Since CNF is mostly upper body I figure this is good training.

Any pros who would like to comment on this? Is it any good or am I wasting my time.

If it is a good way of training what would you say I'd need to be able to do in order to go down to 50m?:

1st set of push-ups: number?
Static: minutes/seconds?
2nd set of push-ups: number?

Also, any comments on double dives ie. diving down twice to a certain depth on one breath?

Thanks!

Im not a paid pro but I have used the same thing for years, and it works!

Also I used to apnea run, lately I have been doing it on a traning cycle and a rowing machine. And have been pushing it to 2min 50sec.

I came up with the idea when I was running or biking near bus-stops, And in fear of people seeing how out of breath I was, I would simply hold it until I got past : ) I later found out my breathing would actually go down in rate after a couple of holds. So yes I would say keep doing it, It will probably learn the muscles to operate on a lower O2 saturation.

By the way: I would say, DO NOT double dive, it would most likely turn into a black-out = death Instead dive down to 30 and swim along the bottom for 10-20 or so metres and then go up.

Last edited:
Interesting way of training. It should do some good, and is probably safer and more practical than apnea walking. I am trying to find an effective way of dry training for dynamic, which is not apnea walking, and arm or leg exercises are the best way to start.

Interesting way of training. It should do some good, and is probably safer and more practical than apnea walking. I am trying to find an effective way of dry training for dynamic, which is not apnea walking, and arm or leg exercises are the best way to start.

what dont you like about apnea walking? It seems to help me:confused:

I don't mind doing apnea walking for short distances, but it is difficult to find anywhere to do it. It would need to be somewhere with a soft ground like grass or sand, and not too many people around. I don't want to get anywhere near the limit while apnea walking, as I am scared of blacking out and getting hurt. I would also be far more likely to black out during apnea walking than in dry statics or pool dynamics/statics because of the standing position.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT