• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea wetsuit care?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bolts

Jun 1, 2004
Ok, I bought a Picasso Apnos suit last week, and managed to try it on this weekend with generous helpings of a lube made up of about 1 part hair conditioner and 4 parts water. I tried it on, and my question now is, would the rubber be damaged any by the conditioner residue while drying? Also, when drying, should the suit be inside out or not?

When storing a suit, what is the best way to keep it....hung on a padded hanger, laid flat...? :confused:

Thanks in advance! :head

Hey bolts:

I have the picasso shadow and use a little shampoo with conditioner with 4 parts water and it slide right on.
As for the rubber being damage by"residue" using the lube, i never had any problem for i always spray the suit off with the garden hose as soon as possible or what's available.

As for drying my suit, you should air out both sides because the inside rubber will remain wet it not. {out of the direct sunlight of course}

I always store my wetsuit on a padded hanger and let it hang down in a cool place in the laundry room. This way it would help keep the wetsuit from creasing. You should have no problems.

Hope this info helped:

later.

Wetsuits (not just apnea, but all varieties) are usually more damaged by residue from the ocean (or swimming pool!) than by left-over "conditioner" or soap you might have used to ease donning it. So, as long as you're giving it a good rinse after using it, and hanging to dry out, it should be fine.

I usually hang my suits inside-out initially, and then reverse them after the exterior surface (the inside of suit) is fully dry, thus allowing the outside of the suit to air dry as well. Best to keep suits hanging up (not folded or laying flat) to prevent creasing the neoprene, as mentioned in the earlier post.

Furthermore, I always like to have my suits hang right-side (not inside) out for any extended period of time> If I did the reverse, it would leave the seams, etc., hanging in the opposite direction they are designed to "hang" on your body. This can cause some lumpiness in suits if left hanging that way for long periods. Thus, another reason to start hanging them inside out, then once the suit is reversed to "normal" for final drying, you can leave it that way, and not worry about how long it may end up hanging that way. Re hangers, the heavy plastic ones with large "shoulders" on them (for suit coats) work very well, and don't cost as much as the ones sold specifically for wetsuits. The ones I'm speaking of have pad-like shoulder sections that allow the weight of the suit to be spread out across a wider section of the suit's shoulder material than if it were hung on many typical hangers.

Lastly, avoid hanging your suits in the sun...if you must, then try to limit exposure to just the time required to dry them. Also, avoid hanging in a garage area, as the increased levels of ozone (due to car exhaust, outside air, etc) will cause more rapid deterioration of the neoprene and other suit materials than if the suits were stored in an interior closet. This is especiailly true of the delicate (neck and wrist) seals on dry suits. I hope this is helpful.

Y'know, here it is over ten years later and I was just looking for the same answer Veronika posed. :)

I used a wide motorcycle jacket hanger for the top, but can't figure a way to hang the pants without folding them over some sort of bar, thick or not.

Apnea sages, proffer your wisdom! (Do I have to burn a goat or something to invoke the oracle?)

Bob

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT