• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Aqualung Sphera Mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Raul

Oct 16, 2001
I am looking to get myself a new mask. I recently came across the Sphera mask from Aqualung, and I was wondering if any of you have had any experiences with this mask that you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks

the sphera seems to be made under lots of different names, or rather by different named companies (aquasphere and technisub to name but a few.) it is the same mask however, identical in ever way. It is a bit of a winner really as it has a very low volume and is made of very flexible plastic. this is great because it means you dont have to equalise it as it bends under pressure. It is not tempered glass however and so you dont want to give it too much of a bang. Similarly, it is grewat in warm water, but in cold water may tend to fog up a bit.
in summary, great mask, every one shgould have one as their first mask i reckon but you may find you want to get another as well as it will increase your condition limit.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for the info guys, very helpfull. I guess I am going to try to find somwhere to try it on first before buying

I hated it at first as it felt like it covered too much of my face and didn't like the sensation of being eaten alive! but persevered a bit and now I love it and the old cressi super occhio feels heavy and clunky in comparison.

The plastic lenses are horrid but you can get it with glass ones and a slightly higher volume now (saw them in france).

And I wouldnt recommend it for scuba, wore it once and leaked like a sieve

Sam

great mask, takes a bit of getting used to but well worth the effort though.
does not seem to magnify in the water as much as glass lenses.
(had to get bifocal contacts to correct my vision and these work fine in conjunction with the sphera but not with my old mask..???
the sphera works in the water like just looking in air , can't say whether this will be good for you or bad.)

I have been using the OMER Abyss...then I tried the Sphera this past weekend. If you are doing any deep dives...this is THE mask. I think it has a ~76mL volume(compared to ~93mL for the abyss) and this was a huge difference when dropping into the 30-35m range. One little puff of air and it was equalized. No wasted air. The distortion took about a minute or two to get used to and then it was no problem. You can endure a lot more of a mask squeeze with this frame as it is very flexible. The peripheral vision is second to none. If the distortion is too much...you could always try the minima.

Matt

I got this mask a couple of weeks ago, the first time I used it it thought I would never get used to the distortion but it was ok the second use I had already gotten used to it, the plastic lenses scratch easily so you have to be really carefull with them, other than that it is great, personally I get prussure from it on the bridge of my nose, I probably need to have it broken again I doubt that will be a problem for anyone else though.

Yeah Bat,

The minima is glass, and usually pretty cheap too (20 bucks or so online). The glass-lens version of the sphera that Samdive was speaking of is called the Falco I think. Jon has both. He loves both of them, but I don't like em as much cuz I have a narrow face. The minima and superochio fit me better.

Ted and I wnet out spearin for a little over 3 hours today.
I wore my Falco becasue I didn't get a chance to go much below 20'.

Later on in the year I will get to go deeper and switch back to my Sphera.

Here is a close up of my Falco- and my super warm Henderson
Ice Cap.:cool:

Jon

Last edited:
Jon,

Can you described this 'henderson ice cap'? I would be interested in trying it. Might be useful as an antinarcosis device.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

ice cap

Eric,

The ice cap is a 3mm neoprene cap that fits under the hood on your vest. It fills in all the spaces of the face that would normally be in contact with the water. When you wear one, basically the only thing that touches the water is your lips. The mask seals well on the outside of the neoprene. It really takes the bite off in cold water. Here's where we got ours. Get one; you'll love it.....

http://www.akmining.com/dive/divegear.htm

great mask: great vision, low volume, and although the plastic lens distorts the vision (though it doesnt bother me), it bends around the face as you go deeper, meaning that you dont have to equalize it as much.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT