• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

are bloody noses the norm after doing some minor statics?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fjohnson

The land of ice and snow
Sep 5, 2001
It seems the day after I've done some diving or some not to the max statics that when I blow my nose there's blood. I've just ignored it forever but wondering if I should talk to the doc about it or has any of the "great wise one" here done my homework for me? Anyone else notice the same?

Fred

FJ,

I experienced this diving when I was having difficulty equalizing after being ill. I was not clearing my sinuses well enough to prevent bursting nasal capillaries. As for the same condition during static: I am clueless

Aaron

Last edited:
sounds like a dryness issue aggrevated by the pressure of your breathold. I'll get a touch of the red snot rarely, but mostly after really working the sinuses and then usually in connection with some congestion. Yeah Fred, definitley let the guys in the white coats know about it. Winter'sn the way so make the most of your ice free water!

sven

I'd be hesitant of going to the doc. I'd be afraid he/she would tell me to stop diving and then I would end up putting him in a head lock. But, I've never been know to make the right decision ;) A friend of mine suggested for me to take Sinus Meds before diving, But I find it makes me dry up quite a bit.
But I hope this doesn't continue for you!

-----Scott

A doctor cannot force you to stop diving. What they can do, is to recommend you stop diving, but the decision is still yours. At least that's the way it works here...

What they also can do is give you valuable information about weather or not you have some more serious underlying problem or if it is indeed just a blocked or dry sinus. Just for the sake of knowing and reassurance, I would recommend a checkup if such problems persist. And go to a dive doc, who may actually know a thing or two about how sinuses etc work under pressure.

It is not uncommon to have a bit of blood in your snot once or twice in your "career". Most divers encounter that before they learn to equalize and learn to know when it is just better to stay on the surface.

But to have a bloody nose every time or regularily means there is either something wrong with your body or the way you dive - or both.

Let's remind our selves of one very basic thing. Blood is supposed to stay in the body. Blood outside the body means that something is broken. It may be minor, it may be major, but broken none the less. It should be let heal or in some cases fixed via external means (surgery etc). Not letting it heal will only make the problem worse.

From experience I know that if you have injured a sinus, to let it completely heal you must take a total break from diving for several weeks, and after that start gradually building up again.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT