• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Are Muraena Helena aggressive?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

klemzy

Aug 8, 2017
Hi guys,

To introduce myself a bit. Last year i started with spearfishing and got really into it. I always liked diving and under water world. I am fairly new to this sport so i try to learn as much as i can. I really love it because it helps me relax and clear my mind from work and stress.

This year i am spearing in a location where there is a lot of muraena helena. I’ve done quite a lot of reading on this fish however, since here is a lot of more experienced spearos, i wanted to get some thougths from you guys as well. The thing is i don’t like this fish and i scares the s**h out of me. I try to avoid it as much as possible. In a couple of times when i’ve done a dive i noticed it when i got near hear hole and not before. It’s supposed not to be aggressive however in all situations it started to get towards me out of the hole. When i moved away it hid again. Has anyone experienced that? Does that mean she was planning to attack?

Thanks for you feedback!

Thy are not aggressive per se, but you don’t want to poke your hand in the hole. You can feel as relaxed seeing a muraena as you can seeing other fish.

Not so agressive, but don't place your hand to deep in the holes. They have an octopus diet so your hand looks more or less like food. they are also very territorial. The green ones are very good for eating, aim to the head they will knot on the shaft. Be aware of the bite, very strong and the teeth can cause you severe infection by bacteria

Ok got it. Thanks for the replies. By watching some video content where divers were filming muraena from close distance they hid inside the hole once divers approached them. In my case they started going towards me out of the hole that's why i got a bit concerned.

@klemzy
Also be aware if you carry your hunt around your waist. Muraena are known to chase for your catch and that might be an unpleasant experience.
If you are diving near holes where you expect muraena then put your catch on your buoy/floatie. Remember they love dead fish and octopuses

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT