• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Are spearfishing rash guards worth it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

moose_grunt

May 8, 2011
As the title says, are spearfishing rash guards worth it? I've already got a few from diving, so don't really need another one for sun/stinging protection. I'd mostly be getting a spearfishing rash guard for the loading pad. Are the chest loading pads any good? A review I saw of the cressi one said the pad was worthless. I'm also considering the IST or hammerhead ones.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Jim

I like them for the camouflage. Especially Bluewater... but your mileage may vary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my old RA90 railgun, which had no built-in loading butt I found a loading pad helpful with 16mm bulk rubber and essential with 20mm rubbers. In fact I used a supplemental loading pad under the loading pad on my Elios spearing wetsuit. Without it, my diagphragm/chest area was black & blue with bruising after a fairly intense week of spearing. RA sell supplemental loading pads that come with straps but I made my own from an old sandal sole, an old triathlon chest strap and some thin elastic cord, which I wore under my wetsuit.

However, with my Omer XXV 75 & 90 - which both have built-in loading butts - I don't need the supplemental pad anymore. Probably don't need the wetsuit pad even.

So, it depends on your speargun, whether it has a loading butt, your bands, the quality and thickness of the suit's loading pad and your loading technique, among other things. You can make or buy a loading pad, without the need for a new rash guard. The loading pad on the rash guard may or may not be sufficient for your loading needs - see the first sentence of this paragraph.

As the title says, are spearfishing rash guards worth it? I've already got a few from diving, so don't really need another one for sun/stinging protection. I'd mostly be getting a spearfishing rash guard for the loading pad. Are the chest loading pads any good? A review I saw of the cressi one said the pad was worthless. I'm also considering the IST or hammerhead ones.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Jim

Jim:

If you already have a few rash guards, you might want to consider this option. I've made a short sleeve rash guard shirt with an integrated chest pad specifically for this application (or for people who want to spearfish with a competition freedive suit that has no pads).

http://www.makospearguns.com/Short-Sleeve-Rashguard-with-Chest-Loading-Pad-p/my45rg.htm

MY45RG-2T.jpg

thanks

Dano

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT