• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Are the C4-80's really too long for spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
They are indeed plastic blades and not fiberglass or carbon, but at $99 USD they hit the bullseye on value!

Jim

:)

Carbon > all other materials.

You're right greek, but there are many plastic fins which are really, really good (Cressi gara 3000, just to mention one: I always say that if it's good for Umberto Pelizzari, it's good for us too :) ). I'm considering to buy shorter (70cm) carbon blades, but still I'm not sure it is worth to spend the $$ of carbon on a shortened fin...
Jim, nice price and nice fins indeed. I'm told that Imersion products have a solid reputation and creative solutions (think of the adjustable wrist angle on their spearguns: that's awesome).

You're right greek, but there are many plastic fins which are really, really good (Cressi gara 3000, just to mention one: I always say that if it's good for Umberto Pelizzari, it's good for us too :) ). I'm considering to buy shorter (70cm) carbon blades, but still I'm not sure it is worth to spend the $$ of carbon on a shortened fin...
Jim, nice price and nice fins indeed. I'm told that Imersion products have a solid reputation and creative solutions (think of the adjustable wrist angle on their spearguns: that's awesome).

If you arent going deep, dont buy carbon. Carbon is superior though not only in response but how light they are on your feet.

Reactions: spaghetti
If you arent going deep, dont buy carbon. Carbon is superior though not only in response but how light they are on your feet.

ok where's my problem? My stolen Rekords were great, but I had many doubts that long carbon fins were the best choice for hunting in shallow water, for the reasons I specified in the other thread.
But when I hunt in shallow water and wear lots of lead at belt and backpack, I have this kind of problem with plastic fins. If I see something interesting at higher depth, say 15/20 meters, and go down to check, then I notice that my plastic fins don't respond as they should.
So to resume: if long carbon fins are too much, and long plastic fins are not enough, I'm considering short carbon fins. Stealthy enough for shallow hunting, but thrusty enough for occasional deeper jumps. But this is just my idea: I havent' tried yet and maybe what I'm saying is non sense....

So to resume: if long carbon fins are too much, and long plastic fins are not enough, I'm considering short carbon fins. Stealthy enough for shallow hunting, but thrusty enough for occasional deeper jumps. But this is just my idea: I havent' tried yet and maybe what I'm saying is non sense....

Seems a reasonable enough assumption to me, I have no experience with carbon fins personally I only own Omer Millenniums and gara 200hfs but there is no comparison between the two, each is better in their own territory. It's your money but I think it is worth a go, maybe a "slightly" stiffer fin than you would have chosen for long fins? but your rational makes perfect sense, the heavier you get then the more responsive higher performance fin will come into it's own and give you the push you need.

Last edited:
I use C4-30's for spearfishing (somewhat shorter than the 80's I know) and the method you describe is exactly how I spear. I had no idea that there was a name for sitting (my favourite is on the sand at the edge of the weedline at 8-10m) waiting for things to happen! I actually use a neckweight to cancel the natural tendency for my feet to sink and hit the bottom first making a noise.

With my suit I need about 6kg to be neutral at 4-5m, I make this up from 2kg on my neck and 4kg on my waist. With this weight distribution I sink level and I can avoid hitting the bottom feet first. There is also seems to be an advantage in the ease in which duck dives can be performed from a horizontal position in the water instead of the (weight belt only) more feet down position.

I have to desagree with you spaghetti, (It does not happen often - it is just a personal issue ), I personally have a problem with the cressi's and ezclapez fins, the actual foot pocket is too soft on the middle of the foot, so when I am using them I feel the fin bending on the middle of the foot it gives me cramps, by the way I own both of them. I would much rather get a omer millenium or a picasso.

On the ankle weight , I may try that, do you guys remove any weight from the weight belt ?

The water was cold and murky yesterday but we manage to kill some, good thing it is always good to bring back fish.

I also try my hybrid hards, I found them to be quite unusable for regular surface swiming diving (I am 6 feet/170 lb) , the medium hybrids are way more snappy a better fin all around.

On the ankle weight , I may try that, do you guys remove any weight from the weight belt ?

Yeah, it's adds up to a kilo on your feet but I went about it the other way, I have always used ankle weights and I put a kilo on the belt if I take them off, which is very rare

Glad your catching, more that I'm doing at the present.

I really love my Cressi foot pockets, funny isn't it rofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT