• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"arms-up" wetsuits for dynamics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ADR

Jan 21, 2004
Having moved to a new training pool which is outside and a little cool, we are all battling the issues of wetsuits for dynamics. My 3mm Topsub suit is quite restrictive for the tight streamline I use for monofinning and I have heard that Elios make an "arms -up" version of their suits for just this reason. Has anyone tried "arms up" suits and do they solve the restriction in the shoulders problem that most suits create?

thanks

Andy

I've never had an issue with my Elios suit's, they're comfy in an arms up position. That said, I've not used it for dynamic, only CW....

Donna

Hi,

I have a Elios with the Monofin cut. After all, you are still wearing a neoprene suit so you will always have some sort of restriction, but the suit is far better for the hands-up-position than conventional suits.
What thickness are you planning to get ?

Veronika

Andy

Elios is the way to go. I have 2 suits and a west and "Arms Up" is not a problem.
Still it is neoprene but is easy to put you arms up. Try to have a 3mm suit or
,like me, a 3mm west smothskin, opencell, with high colar and short selves.

Lambis

Elios will be a good choice Andy,as your position as seen in your avatar is always arms-up :) you do not have a problem with Elios cut.
By the way how is your training program going Andy DIY Hypoxicator MK2 ?
Aydın

Hi Guys & Girls, Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure I was clear enough about my question. Most suits including the Elios suit are cut with the fabric such that it is most comfortable with arms down as that is the position we spend most of our time in. There are suits that are cut for arms up (ie less fabric across the shoulder and more under the arms). The natural position for these is arms up and you stretch them to put your arms down. This seems a great idea for dynamic and I know Elios can make them that way if you ask them too but it's not how their suits come unless you specify it. It is these types of suits that I was asking about.

Veronika - you mentioned a "monofin cut" and this may be what I was referring to, can you give me some more info on what you ordered and how it feels compared to a standard cut?

Aydin - Hypoxicator training is going well and I'll be back for the blood tests next week and will let you know the results. Strangely it seems to be very draining and is negatively impacting my other training.....I'm hoping this is a temporary thing :)

Andy

Andy,

"Cut for monofinning" ist the official term at Elios and it's exactly what you described - the suit is designed to be used with a hands-up position.
Unfortunately my experience with the suit (5mm Heiwa low density) is limited to one season so far. I never used it in the pool and I just have one hand in the classic monofin position when doing CW (need the other hand for equalizing :( ).
What I can tell you is that the difference between the cuts is quite significant. The monofin cut does not restrict your hands-up position, you definitely can tell that that's what it has been made for when you wear it. On the other side, its quite strange doing statics with it or walking around on dry land, since you can feel that it has "too much" neoprene in the armpit with hands down. But well, guess that's not its major field of application anyway ;) ...

HTH ?

Veronika

Hey Andy

Hows everything going? Can't offer any info on Elios suit but have a suggestion - the BEST suit I have ever dived in is not a dive suit but an ORCA (actually a tri suit). It is smoothskin so great for CW - it's a lot like a freedive suit in terms of looks & snug fit (no hood so not suitable for cold CW conditions). Because it is made for triathletes it has excellent flexilbility all around the arms & shoulders, which is just perfect for us. They are great for CW and DYN..and they are made in NZ:)

Suzy

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT