• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Art Pinder and Hawaiin Sling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks
Its good to see people with SKILLS using this equipment with sucsess and confirming the effort was worth while to produce it!
I would enjoy seeing any pics you have of your hunts and apprieciate your response on Deeper Blue.
www.hawaiiansling.net
Ray

Ray,

Missed your post, my goof, sorry. I will get some color copies made of the prints and send them on. PM me with your address. .

Connor

Hmmmm, back when I was a young feller, I saw some ads in the dive magazines that showed a Hawaiian sling that was built along the lines of a recurve bow. Of course, it wasn't recurved, actually it was nearer to being a semi-circle with a pistol grip in the middle and the rubbers coming off of each end. Is this thing still available? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Help? I wanted one back then and could still consider getting one today.

Sarge
I havn't seen one like that. Could you attach a sketch? I have tried something similar but later abandoned the concept. But I am not sure we are talking the same thing. I am very interesred in Hawaiian sling concepts, I feel the sling has remained without inovation and there is definetly good concepts out there to try. If your sketch is accurate and I see merrit in it I will make you one.
Take a look at the attached prototype is it similar to what your talking about. I abandoned this design for a more simple idea that I now have available through www.hawaiiansling.net
Ray

Last edited:
Sarge
This image. This is a pretensioned prototype design with power band adjustment built into the handle.
Ray

Attachments

• cnv0032.jpg
    cnv0032.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I'll give it a try. I've only recently acquired a scanner and haven't ever used to try to send anything. I've got to go to work, now, but only for half a day. I'll see what I can recall (remember, we're talking over 30 years ago!) and see if I can get it onto the site. If it doesn't make sense, I will say up front that your current design is certainly appealing. BTW, does anyone still use Hawaiian slings on the West Coast? Someone once said that they were at their best around reefs when you were shooting fish down in holes. Here, where most of the best hunting seems to be in the kelp beds, guns appear to have come early and held on strong. But . . . now that good ones cost as much as a decent rifle, a return to simplicity attracts. ;)

Sarge
I here you on the computer stuff. I too am learning as I go. But it is nice to be able to communicate with people all over and exchange Ideas. Sending pictures sure helps. Sites like Deeper Blue are great for individuals with simmilar interests to share ideas.
And no problem on the memory recall, just the impression of this concept would be interesting to see.
I here you on the West Coast diving, I have never done it but all seem to have the same concerns. Sounds like a good triggered gun and or at least a tethered shaft is the way there. I have shipped some slings that way, there is some interests there for slings. People have asked about how to tether the shafts too. For Bahamian waters, where I like to hang out, no triggers are allowed so slings are the way unless you want to gamble on spending some time in the Nassau jail. So divers there have become quite good using them with out tethers, taking some impressive fish too. The reefs are from the shallows to however deep you can freedive to. The water is crystal clear and warm. And most spiecies will hole up. Still I have lost an occasional shaft to a running fish.
Any how its all great fun!
Good Luck and talk later
Ray

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT