• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[Article] Gear Review: The DOL-Fin Orca

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ArticleBot

Automated DeeperBlue.com Bot
Jan 12, 2007
DeeperBlue.com's favorite inventor Eric Fattah, takes us on a step-by-step review of the latest apparatus for freedivers: the freediving hydrofoil monofin. A previous World Record holder and active athlete himself, Eric makes the perfect foil to test the DOL-fin Orca.

This is an article discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net Article item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.com Article...

Reactions: Magpie
Great review. Thanks for it, Eric!

Let's hope Ron will demonstrate in person what it can do now at the WC in Okinawa. And I bet plenty of top freedivers will use the opportunity to test it in there, so if it is really good, we'll sure see them everywhere soon.

This is a photo from Kerian's Facebook Okinawa album:

36738_459025941958_655761958_6099099_8362427_n.jpg

Ron and Natalia used the DOL-Fin for their Dyn dives yesterday in Okinawa TWC. Ron did 150m and Natalia 217m. Both were quite slow dives.

Hi Eric,
How do you think it would compare throughout a long distance surface swim fin? Did you try swimming frontcrawl or butterfly with it? Did the kick require amplitude starting at the shoulders or just from the ankles/knees?

Hi Eric,
How do you think it would compare throughout a long distance surface swim fin? Did you try swimming frontcrawl or butterfly with it? Did the kick require amplitude starting at the shoulders or just from the ankles/knees?

The Orca would be the ultimate for long distance. With no pain of any kind in the feet, and the possibility of using a zillion different strokes (no knees, or all knees, or just calves, or whatever...)

I got to play with this fin while Ron was in Hawaii. I was the biggest doubter about the fin to start with. I only used it in the pool. It blew me away. After a few laps just getting the feel for it I could easy match my kick count of my russian fin over 25m. The thing I noticed most was there was no power lost from flex in the foot pocket or over the leanth of the blade. So as you are kicking it produces the power with absolutely no lag. So I found I could use a smaller stroke than normal.
Can't wait to see where this fin and the technology takes free diving.
Posted via Mobile Device

I tried it in Okinawa. Although it exceeded my initial expections I think it still lacks the same power input as a Glide if I need to go a little bit faster than ~+ 1 m/s. At slow speeds it seemed to work fairly well (Natalias dive). Turning also requires some effort, but might be manageable with some training.

With a little more development I think it could be really good...

Here is some raw footage of Natalia's dynamic In Okinawa:

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT