• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

assistance with loading please ?????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mundial
In the nicest possible sense you are talking rubbish when you say that Euro guns can't take 2 bands.
Rob Allen is a eurogun and is designed for 2 Bands same with most euro guns the muzzle is made to take screw-in and circular bands.
It is possible to buy rubbers down to 14mm and 2 of these would certainly be a lot easier to pull than 1x 18- or 20mm band
They would also provide enough power for most fish.
I would look at spreading the load over a greater area Alison, perhaps a plastic/fibreglass loading pad that is something like the RA one but larger?
If you have trouble loading from the hip due to slippage maybe one of those rubber blocks that sit on the belt and catch the speargun butt?

I have a construction idea for Colin. :)
(unordinary situations sometimes require unordinary solutions)
Am not sure it's practical, but here goes:
Attach two horizontal pedals near the muzzle - you put your feet on them with the gun in between and grab the rubbers with your hands. Most of your pulling will be done with your legs.
Will need to make sure those pedals are break proof and slip proof or you might launch the gun towards your body while pulling (ouch! :().
A simpler "construction" solution is a rope on the muzzle for the same use, but loading that way with fins sounds too complicated.

Nobody knows this technique I mentioned before? using only both hands with the gun parallel to one's arm span?

Eyal, do you happen to know Nathan? I think he used to spearfish in Sidny alley, he is in his 40's, last time I saw him but it was years ago.
I think he is the one I heard mentioning this strange arms-only loading technique....

Thanks Michael :)
Thats probably the way I'll go, Adrian came up with the same idea as well. I discussed this last night with Colin and he suggested that as its only a tempoary thing that he might be able to rig up some sort of stirup thing out of thick cord that I could put my heels into? Not sure yet but we came at least try when we get home :D

Huan said:
Mundial
In the nicest possible sense you are talking rubbish when you say that Euro guns can't take 2 bands.
Rob Allen is a eurogun and is designed for 2 Bands same with most euro guns the muzzle is made to take screw-in and circular bands.
It is possible to buy rubbers down to 14mm and 2 of these would certainly be a lot easier to pull than 1x 18- or 20mm band
They would also provide enough power for most fish.
I would look at spreading the load over a greater area Alison, perhaps a plastic/fibreglass loading pad that is something like the RA one but larger?
If you have trouble loading from the hip due to slippage maybe one of those rubber blocks that sit on the belt and catch the speargun butt?

hi huan i didnt say all euro guns .... i know that ra and rabi can take 2 slings
but i think that 2 slings make the shaft go out a bit vibrating....
i use pair of strong slings(18mm) and it is accurate
i also think in loading time so for me only a pair of slings
i am sorry i f i didnt explane my self good :hmm
as for the other option there is a gun i use to have by tecnisub
that you can load only with your legs by polling them down the gun
name is tecnisub super blitz....i dont know if they make guns like that

as for nathan i really didnt see him at all

Last edited:
Alison beg borrow or steal (ouch) buy I mean a compressed gun ie Mares Cressi to name just but two whereby you can pump to any pressure you require for ease of loading .short guns load hand to hand longer guns hand to hip or foot.I use both types in U.K. waters with great success.banded require less maintenance.Otherwise raid a castle and nick suit of armour!! warning NO weight belt !!Hope this helps

Alison, what about ab loading? You have problems with it too? I can not think any other "safe" loading method other than these.

Alison,
as other guys have said you could try 2 smaller dia bands maybe even make them a bit longer so they will be easyier to load.
Does your gun have a loading pad?
You could also try using a gun designed for hip loading , Surely a nice girl like you will have plenty of friends willing to loan you a gun till you are back in shape to load regular gun, most of the Ausie or American style guns are like this-longer butt extendind app. 25-30cm past the handle. For example Undersea, Sea Hornet, Riffe, AB Biller ect etc.
The Euro or Sth African guns designed for chest loading don't work well for hip loading -you have to pull too far down to get to notch.
The Other option is ask your buddy to load your gun, I regularly do this for my kids or mates that are new to spearing so they dont get frustrated or tangled up or accidently point gun at me while struggling to load. :)
regards
Peter

I'm new to the forum and just noticed this thread. The method described by Gilbert four weeks ago is what I have done for years, but I'd like to suggest another option for consideration. I'm afraid it won't work for a Euro gun, and I do know that the starter of the thread was specifically asking about a Euro gun. However, those with wood guns may find it useful.

This idea was the brain-storm of Sheri Daye, holder of several woman's world records in spearfishing. She was using a Wong 63" ono gun and didn't have the strength to cock it, so had been using what is called a rest tab, which is simply a large shark fin tab welded to the shaft several inches in front of the loading tabs. You pull the band to the rest tab with the butt on your hip, and then move the butt to the chest to finish loading. The disadvantage is that the welding of the large tab weakens the shaft at that point and makes it easier for a large fish to bend it. Since Sheri is a mechanical engineer, she came up with a better way. The same line anchor that is under the muzzle of wood guns is screwed to the side of the gun. You pull the band to the line anchor (aka Sheri Daye tab) with the butt on your hip, and then without releasing your grip, move the butt to the chest and finish loading. Daryl is embarrassed that he never thought of it, but now he offers this as an option on all his guns. The line anchor costs all of $14.

I can easily load my guns without one of these things, but I have put one on every gun because its simply faster and uses less energy.

Brilliant. Been looking for a solution like that for ages. Nice one Bill.

Ntrik said:
Brilliant. Been looking for a solution like that for ages. Nice one Bill.

Glad you like it. I suppose I should point out that in the photo showing it in use, its flush mounted because Daryl did it. But in the other photo, its just screwed to the surface because I did it, and I have limited wood working skills and equipment. Either way works, but of course the flush mount is cleaner and prettier.

And just in case someone didn't know what I meant when I described the alternative, a rest tab welded on the shaft, here is a photo of that. It also works well as long as you are not shooting something like a tuna. However, it won't work on a Euro gun with enclosed muzzle, and it is of limited help on a gun with enclosed track and multiple bands. After you get the first couple of bands cocked, the fin isn't sticking up high enough through the rubber to permit using it for subsequent bands. But on a gun without enclosed track like the one in this photo, the bands don't keep you from getting subsequent bands on it because it sticks up high enough. Riffe shafts can be ordered with a rest tab, but of course you have to pay for a rest tab every time you get a new shaft. You only have to pay $14 for a Sheri Daye tab once because it goes on the gun rather than the shaft.

Last edited:
Alison,
You might want to think seriously about the air gun... After I flipped my landrover 4 times in August and busted a few ribs on the right side, it was 3 months before I could load. The strength wasn't the problem. The problem was I busted some on the "side" and right off the sternum and while I could "pull" back with my arms, the stress of the muscle on the ribs and sternum was too much. It was a full 3 months before I could load more than once and I think my attempts caused the healing to last longer. I could not do ONE (1) situp until mid-December!!!!! I ain't in the best shape for my advancing age, but situps had never been a problem. Take it easy and heal correctly in the beginning, think about using a pneumatic, or get assistance loading and don't strain yourself!

...my two dirhams for what their worth (about .002 pence actually!)

THANK YOU BILL!!!! I can load my Riffe Island again. Injured in '98, sugery in '99 and just couldn't load a long gun after that. I basically gave up spearfishing. Recently found this site (and a couple of others) and my desire started growing again. Then Bill posts a solution for me. I guess I have to get back into shape now.

Two pieces of equipment should help you out. The chest pad and the load assist. Both available from rob allen. The combination of those two should do it.

HERE IS A QUICK EASY SOLUTION
I fix the problem of loading with the use of a 3/4 in wide nylon strap. it is difficult to explain but if you can follow you will be able to load your gun without putting the butt against you body. I have a 1200 rob allen. I took a strap about 7 ft long tied a 3in loop at each end. You will need to adjust the length based on your height. Take both loops and slide them over the pistol grip this forms a 3ft or so loop in the strap. Take that loop portion slide it down the barrel of the gun on the top side right on top of your spear. Now slide the futhest point of the strap back towards the butt, when you do the straps will sag down on both sides of the barrel like a saddle. I am right handed so I insert my right heal along the underside of the barrel and between the sagging straps as you strech out your leg the pressure will squeze your foot tight between the underside of thre barrel and the strap. As the two end loops are held fast around the pistol grip by extending your leg your foot should now be holding the spreargun out off you body with the butt of the gun sitting a few inch away from your groin. You will need to adjust the strap length so that you acheive the desired distance. If you bend your leg a little it will allow you to reach the bands easily. Once you have your grip on the band just straighten out your leg and pull against your foot. All the pressure will be on your foot and leg nothing should be touching your body. Once you have cocked the gun you can slide your foot out of the strap. you will have to remove one of the loops from the pistol grip and slide the strap out from between the barrel and the rubber band as the band will have been pulled down the barrel over the stap. It may be a little hard to follow the instructions without a picture. With my own gun I have tied one end of the strap to the pistol grip permanetly and the other end is just a loop that I slide on and off. The strap gives me an additional 7ft of reach to let go of the gun after shooting to swim to the surface in shallower water. Hope this helps it was a life saver for me and a quick fix in the field as you can use a piece of rope just as well. The strap was more comfortable agaist the bottom of my foot than a rope. Good luck.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT