• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Asso 115

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jezpatrol

Jan 28, 2015
Hi everybody! My name is jez from Melbourne, serial lurker and now have a question if thats ok?

I was using banded guns but started using an asso 75 and love it! Have just ordered an asso 115 (price was just too good) but i want to pimp it a little. Can anyone recommend a shaft upgrade preferably a single flopper. Can it only be 8mm? I want it to be fast but cant really Find or afford Any of the vac barrel kits. Any advice and other mod suggestions greatly appreciated.

Does muzzle port alteration do anything? Ie, enlarging or dont mess with it?

Thanks heaps!!

Jez

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Congrats on the Asso.
I know importing into Oz can be painful and expensive but that said, there are good prices on Scubastore on their large selection of Sigalsub spears for pneumatics. 7mm is fast and fine for most things but perhaps 7.5mm would be a happy medium. No real need for 8mm, I'd say - but I expect Gazz to give us his thoughts, too.

Start putting money aside for a vac muzzle set. You'll love it. The cheapest (Salvimar Vuoto) is unfortunately not made for the Asso thread size. Evo-Air is, but it only works for front-tied shafts without sliders. The rest, as you have found out, are pricey.
BUT I would get a Tomba from Tomi/Marko (members here) which will be custom made for your needs and serve you well for many, many years. As such, they are good value and not too badly priced at all (middle of the field).

Cheers,
David

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Yep, save for a dry barrel kit.
I have a Tomba kit and a 7 mm spear in my 115 Asso = lovely set up.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Thanks for the prompt responses! Exactly the sort of info i hoped for! Until i can get vac muzzle kit, can i just drop in a 7 or 7.5mm spear, or does muzzle need altering?

Nope, you can totally use thinner spears - no need for modifying the stock muzzle. Drink fewer flat whites and before you know it, you have money for your vac muzzle!:)

One other question if i may! I have found some hawaiian pneumatic shafts close to me at a good price and i'd like to know if you think a 7mm hawaiian 80cm for cyrano, will be ok in my asso 75, and for the asso 115 if i could use a 110, 7mm hawaiian? Otherwise there is also a 8mm 120.

What are your thoughts? I'm mostly inshore, reef, shooting fast fish not big fish. My goal is more speed and range,
Rather than impact.

Thanks heaps!! Jez :)

7mm sounds like what you need.
If "close to you" means you can swing by the shop then just bring gun in and see if the 110, 7mm is long enough. It might just be a few cm too short. You could measure the exact length of the spears you have now and their overhang, too. It's difficult to explain but the important measurement is from the tail end of the spear to the back end of the folded-down flopper. You need that to be long enough that the flopper can lay flat once loaded. A few cm longer is how I cut my spears - so that if you change to a slightly shorter piston or slightly longer muzzle, the spear is still not too short.

Hope this makes sense.

- I just went through my notes. It seems my Hunter 90 (a "face lifted" Asso) came with a 105 spear but when I changed to 7mm, I cut it down to 98cm and it could not be much shorter (well, since it is front tied - it could possibly be about 2cm shorter for slider setup)
So, if we juggle the numbers a bit, an Asso spear should probably not be less than 8-10cm longer than the model designation. So, both the spears you are looking at in 7mm could be too short. Hope you can go there to verify.
Don't rely too much on my numbers - floppers are not all placed at same distance from the spear tip nor are they all the same length.

Good luck!

Hi Fellow Aussie!

For Range and better all round performance you need a dry barrel kit.

Tromic makes some good ones for the asso at good prices, pm him

You need a 130cm spear (7mm is good) but you could use a 125cm or 135cm one from sigal sub. (you can use these without the dry barrel kit)

You can use mares shafts but you will need to change the "butt of the spear" for one that suits seac sub.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT