• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Atlantis found!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
I just saw an article about a discovery made by a man looking the Atlantic ocean in Google Ocean (part of Google Earth) - he found a giant rectangular structure (size of Wales) west of Canary Islands. I just verified it in Google Earth and it is indeed there, and so big and obvious that it cannot be overseen. I wonder why no one spotted it before.

atlantis_05_600.jpg

I hope it is not just a joke of someone at Google. Not sure what it could be otherwise, but it definitely does not look like something natural. More info here:

Google Earth : Engländer will Atlantis entdeckt haben - Wissenschaft - STERN.DE
'Atlantis' spotted on ocean floor off Africa | The Sun |News

THIS is the amazing image which could show the fabled sunken city of Atlantis.

It shows a perfect rectangle the size of Wales lying on the bed of the Atlantic Ocean nearly 3� miles down.

A host of criss-crossing lines, looking like a map of a vast metropolis, are enclosed by the boundary.

They seem too vast and organised to be caused naturally.
And last night the possibility of an extraordinary discovery had oceanographers and geophysicists captivated.

The site lies 620 miles off the west coast of Africa near the Canary Islands — a location for Atlantis seemingly suggested by the ancient philosopher Plato.

He believed it was an island civilisation sunk by an earthquake and floods around 9,700BC — nearly 12,000 years ago.
The �grid� showed up on Google Ocean, a Google Earth extension that uses a combination of satellite images and marine surveys.

Last night Dr Charles Orser, curator of historical archaeology at New York State University — and one of the world’s leading authorities on Atlantis — called it �fascinating�.

He said: �The site is one of the most prominent places for the proposed location of Atlantis, as described by Plato. Even if it turns out to be geographical, this definitely deserves a closer look.�

The legend of Atlantis has captured the imagination of scholars for centuries.
And in the 1970s it spawned a hit TV series, Man From Atlantis, in which Patrick Duffy played a webbed hero who could live underwater.

Situated in an area called the Madeira Abyssal Plane, the grid was spotted by aeronautical engineer Bernie Bamford as he browsed through Google Ocean.

No, it is not joke.
Those are the sonar tracks of the ships that mapped the sea floor.
Everything between the tracks is still unmapped. :)

31°21'47.17"N ,120°48'35.93"W
51°18'1.23"N, 19°47'47.47"W
31 15'15.53 N ,24 15'30.53 W,

Those are the sonar tracks of the ships that mapped the sea floor.
No, it does not really look like sonar tracks to me. Besides the shape, regularity/irregularity, and the structure which would give little sense for sonar mapping, I'd also expect higher precision at the sonar tracks, which is not the case - the resolution is identical on the lines as well as in the fields in between or around. I still suspect some imaging or mapping artifacts, or other explanation, or even an intentional joke, but am curious about it anyway.

Yes, artefact of the data collection process. Not literally sonar tracks. Pardon me. :)
The point is - not Atlantis or something physical, man made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, artefact of the data collection process. Not literally sonar tracks. Pardon me.
Perhaps, but still it does look quite weird, and does not explain why such artefacts are here, and not elsewhere. It is too regular to be natural, and too iregular to be artefact or sonar tracks. Though I admit I do not buy the Atlantis theory either. That's why I am telling I am curious what it really is.

EDIT: OK, now I see the other places you posted the coordinates of above. Yes, that makes more sense now

Last edited:
...and does not explain why such artefacts are here, and not elsewhere...
They are all over the place.
I see you haven't checked coordinates I have given.

It looks like its dug into the mud rather than built up out of the mud- as a structure or building would be. I'm sure it's man-made, but think it's mor likely something that fell to the bottom and decayed ( like a fishing net) leaving only it's tracks behind.

I can tell you from some of the side-scan survery's I've been a part of that there are all kinds of weird designs on the bottom that end up being rather common. One of the strangest were some large coils of cables- the kind that come on those huge spools that are 6' across. They ht the bottom and roll over onto their sides making perfect circles. Then, the bands that hold the cables on the spool rot away allowing the cable to spring off the spool making these crazy designs in the mud. They show up as little round daisies on the side-scan.

Jon

Interesting article, but I want to know what kind of a survey tool they were dragging through the mud?:confused:

Those marks are exactly what you would see on your plotter- which should be ON the boat. If your using some normal kind of device (Side-scan sonar towfish, proton magnotometer) it should be some distance ABOVE the mud- or else it doesn't work.

Jon

Heya!

Check out these cords to see a what i like to think of as a underwater city up in the Peru Andes.

Latitude 14°43'32.65"S
Longitude 69°21'26.52"V

Enjoy :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT