• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Attaching wooden side stocks to alloy handle frame

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearsniper

Feb 11, 2010
Hi all.
I've been admiring the beautiful guns here on the forum for some time, and that got motivated to make a few more for myself. Traditionally I have purchased mechs , muzzles, handles etc, but decided I liked the challenge of making everything myself. The part I found I was buying most often was the handle, and I ended up using nasty looking plastic ones.

Im looking for the best way to attach wooden side stocks to an alloy handle frame. Screws and bolts are obvious options, but I am looking for a clean finish.
I have seen a few on the forums without the use of screws or barrel nuts, and was keen to get the lowdown.
I was thinking of filling the hollows in the alloy frame with wood, and laminating the stocks to that.
I'm open to suggestions.....
alloy_frame_1.jpg

alloy_frame_2.jpg

alloy_frame_3.jpg

I was thinking of filling the hollows in the alloy frame with wood, and laminating the stocks to that.

Your idea sound like a good one, it is possible to glue wood to alloy but, maybe not as guaranteed as wood to wood!

josh at neptonics told me you can glue one side up with epoxy, then when that dries, fill the void cavity in the frame with epoxy till its flush/ (to eliminate air bubble) then glue other side on. btw: you can sand the wooden pieces and the aluminum together to get really perfectly smoothe edges.

Reactions: Salehthefish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT