• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Austin TX Freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Roan

Deeper Blue Wayfarer
Jul 12, 2003
Hey Austin freedivers!

I wonder how many of you there are. Most of my family lives in Austin and I'll be visiting this Christmas and New Years. Where do y'all (insert affected accent here) ;) freedive there? Lake Travis? What are depths and temps there like? Fahrenheit please. Town Lake? Should I bring my gear this year? The water must be pretty chilly about that time.

freediving in Austin

I think Tanya Streeter is from Austin, so there must be some freediveing karma here. Lake Travis usually has about 10 ft visibility, but it can be as high as 30ft. I have only dove it a couple of times and know a few good spots. For horizontal diving Barton Springs it pretty nice. It gets as deep as 15 feet, has an interesting bottom, has about 40 ft vis, and is long enough to let you test your underwater distance swimming without having to turn around a bunch. Everything is borring compared to the ocean, but go in the winter, at night, with a flash light, when there is no one else around and its pretty cool. I once saw a 3 ft snapping turtle. And a school of 100 minnows shimmering in a flashlight beam while they run into your mask can, with a little imagination, be as interesting as a school 100 3 lb jacks circling you 20 ft away in the ocean.

Howdy,

I'm new to freediving, although I did SCUBA years ago, and I do a good bit of snorkeling. I'm looking for a group or individuals in Austin to join up with. thanks

Tanya Streeter is not from Austin, but she lives there with her husband Paul. The two of them used to use Lake Travis to teach freediving, but she works with a production team both here and with the BBC in the UK, and one of her primary functions is as a "TV Presenter" as she puts it.

A few of her presentations are well known, however she's had some on BBC 2 recently involving diving with sharks, and another is due in the UK this fall, work she did in Indonesia.

I know nothing of her future plans but as all of us are, I too am curious about what she's planning for the future. I'm sure, it will be something spectacular.

diver_gent

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT