• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Auzzie record

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

Firstly congratulations to Walrus from Deeper Blue who today in training in Hawaii did a Pb Constant Ballast dive to 60.6 metres.

He also set/broke the Australian Cb unofficial record of Tony Heughs of 56.4metres with a dive to 58 metres. Good on ya buddy good luck and go nuts in the static.

cheers

Firstly Congrats to Walrus.

For all db members and other freedivers in Hawaii i wish luck.
Hopefully everything goes fine and we will shortly hear from you all.

Deep and safe dives.

Tuomo

Yeah!!

Go the aussies!!

Good stuff Walrus, and congrats on the PB! :)

Loopy

Team Aussie

I have to say that the Aussie Team has proven them selves quite nicely here in Kona. They are all a great bunch of divers and a very fun bunch of people. I've enjoyed hanging around with them.

Walrus has become my new hero!:inlove

Congrats Walrus!

good job, i hope everyone is having a blast in kona (it snowed here today for the first time...)

way to go walrus

congratulations walrus for your 60 m!!

from your forer friend Guss

Agustín Espinosa

Reactions: Pekka
Has the AIDA limited the depth in the world championship ?

Hello,

I have found in an e-mail that Carlos Coste made 70 mts, Ronald Laurens 70 mts and Nestor Aparceo 58 mts. all of them from the Venezuelan team.

They announced that the organizers have limited the depth to 70 mtrs.

Does any of you know if is right this info?

Good luck to all the freedivers of the AIDA Cup.

Juan Llantada "Joantxo"

hi

Sorry not sure about that depth limit thing, that would be a shame because Carlos would probably do 85-90m.

cheers

yes, the depth limit is 70mts. probably due to currents, lack of good bay, safety, etc.

Thank You

Thanks All,

Just got back in Oz now, missing Kona & the people already :(

I'm pretty stoked I managed 58m in my first ever International comp. Even more stoked and proud of how our team went, it was way beyond my expectations.

And Deron, you dah Man !
a clean 60m dive, and cool as a cucumber, a new US static record of 6:51 !
You must have been way up there on the rankings with 128 points or so...

Thanks heaps for helping us out, and it's been cool hanging out with you guys, you Scott and Brett sure made me laugh.

Watching you and Scott do 7min + statics in training just blew me away..

Sorry how it turned out for you guys in the end, well at least the US women kicked Ass with 1st place. Big Congrats !

It seems like that this the nature of comps that the best divers & teams don't always win. ( USA, France & Check getting disqualifications) The rules are really tough too, one Russian girl got disqualified for hugging her team mate too soon after her dive ?!
Comps are really tough.

I definitely think the Oz team had luck on our side, we had one disqualification that was overuled.

Anyway big thanks to everyone on the DB site, I would not have done so well without all the training tips and advice. Special Big thanks to Deron (DSV), Erik Young, Sacha Dench, Matt Tough and the rest of the Oz team. Mahalo !

Aloha all!
Walter

hi

hi

Good on ya Walrus, I totally didn't expect Australia to finish 5th in front of France totally mad. One thing though where was Italy as they were the World champs last year right. And Walrus can you tell me who won the individual was it Carlos, Martin, or Herbet.

Australia seemed to do well in statics as well with Antony doin 6 min. Is Antony a spearo and if so where is he from has he been diving long to do these statics.

cheers

Thanks Ivan,

Italy didn't compete, I think it's because they have had a falling out with AIDA.

Herbert didn't compete, except in the dynamics in which he came a bit short of 150m.

I'm interested to see the individual points myself, I'm guessing Martin came first with a 70m dive(wearing small rubber hockey fins ?!) and a static around the 6:50 mark or so.

Not sure what Carlos got in the statics, he was really nice though, as were the rest of the team. (I got an autographed Tshirt from the whole team ) :D

Ant lives in Sydney, and is a really keen spearo, he came 4th in the last NSW titles I think. He told me his dad is a really good spearo too, so I'm guessing he's been doing for quite a while.
In training I saw him do some huge statics well beyond the 6 min mark. If he goes for the freediving team next year he will be really hard to beat !

Cheers,
Walter

Hey, where did this thread come from? This is the first I've seen it.
Wally, what can I say? Awesome, outstanding, etc....
I am very happy for you; it's a good feeling to do well in a comp, let alone your FIRST comp, and a World Comp at that!
All my best, don't stop there amigo ;)
Erik Young

Hey Walrus,

Thanks for the compliment. You guys did the performance all we did is blab out some info. You guys ROCK!

Martin and I tied for 1st in the static with 6:49, but they gave me the actual 1st place ranking.:hmm

Stick with the training and we'll see you in Turkey next year. Or better yet, we are trying to get to Cyprus in May. See what you guys can do.

Hey at the closing ceremonies they showed a video and you guys got a lot of air play. If you want I'll pick one up for you. It's $20 US not Aussie (Matt). The only bummer is they didn't put on Matt's breathe up or that incredible 10m Aussie crawl dynamic.rofl

Congrats again

DSV

Congrats Deron !

For those reading this that don't know, Deron (DSV) came in equal first place in Statics with Martin in the Pacific cup. Also set the new USA record at 6:49 !

:D :D :D

To tie with the world record holder in an International event, can't complain about that ?!

You're the King of Statics !
;)

I really have to work on my statics before the next comp. It was embarrassing to be the best diver on the team, and have the worst statics. :duh

Yeh love to have a copy of the video, it's possible Sacha or David may have bought one, they stayed an extra couple of days.
So I'll just wait a bit and find out when they are back.

Bummer about Matt's Dynamic and his unusual breath up. That was so cool, I struggled to keep composed when I was his buddy, a couple of times I had to put my head underwater so people wouldn't hear me laugh. :D

Cheers All,
Walter

hi

Walter do you know why Herbet didn't compete thats crazy. How the $#%$ did Martin dive 70m with those fins it must have been mad to watch. Hey what happened in statics did you samba?
im jealous you got Coste's signature maybe I can get yours one day HA HA.

cheers

Congratulations

Congratulations to Walrus and to the whole Aussie team. This time You guys did so much better than in WC Sardinia '98 , where You did well in training, but not so good in competition.

For comparison, here are the WC2 results from Sardinia '98
http://www.geocities.com/~freediver/wm98total.htm

It's great that some of us still refer to "inofficial" dives, such as the 56 mt CB done by Tony. Actually I think I know Tony Heughs and if I am not mistaken, he did this 56 mt in Sardinia before the actual competition. Does anybody have more details about this?

cheers

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT