• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Azores again....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mikko

Gear nut
Jul 10, 2003
So....how was Azores this year???
Rui? Boq? Mlungu?

Our plans for next year are well on the way.
We are planning on staying on Pico, and diving the surroundings. The accomodation is pretty much sorted and all is looking great.
However, we are having some problems with the boats.
Any of you regulars to central group......do you know anyone we could contact on Pico or Faial who might take us out for tuna few times? We plan on doing mostly "beach" launches with one kayak. This allows us to get in to those spots a tad further from the rocks more safely and will assist a great deal should we manage to shoot some big AJ/tuna/wahoo/dorado.....
Still, we really wish to go and try shooting tuna few times as they sure as hell are about.

So, guys..how was it? Any pointers (not white)?

If you are dying to get to Azores, you are more than welcome to join us next year. If you are keen, PM me.

Cheers,
Mikko

Hi Mikko

be welcome to the most blue zone of the western Atlantic!! :)))
i can't help you with the boat or anything else in Pico, just because i dont know nobody there, but i will try to get in touch with Rui. (i think he's now very busy with the Omer web page designs...)

if you want to go to Flores (this Islands is the the most wild part of the islands, the "real thing" in landscape and fish) i'll be there from June until September, i hope...

we'll keep in touch :)

cheers from the west

David

Good to hear from you!
Our plan is already set so that we'll be staying in Pico.
Why do you not catch Golpinho Azul (spelling???) and meet us there?

Cheers,
Mikko

Hi Guys,

I went to the Azores twice this year. First time was to Faial, I had planned to go out on a boat (charter) to the deep water but the whole trip fell through so just went shore diving instead, plenty of trigger fish, crystal clear water but not much else. I had planned to meet Rui in Sao George but the Ferry takes foreever to get there from Faial and only goes once a day. When I phoned him while I was there he was also having not much luck, maybe the rest of his trip was better, I don't know.Went for a short trip with my parents to San Miguel in November (not really a spearing trip ) more to see what the Island is like. The sea was quite choppy and vis not as good as during the summer. Although the island is very pretty, I didn't think it was as good as Faial or Pico as a spearing destination as the coast is a lot more rugged. I enjoyed the Azores but like most places if want to catch decent fish you gotta get a boat.

Cheers

Justin

not much luck, inded, Justin
but Azores have much more than Triger fish...

cheers

David

You are right, David. You just have to be there at the right time and at the right place!! I was very impressed with Faial though, I have never dived in such clear water +/- 25-30 m viz and that was just from the shore!! I did shoot a smallish baracuda but he managed to wriggle off my spear! I would be interested to hear about Flores if you have dived there before

Hi Justin
Flores is very different than S. Miguel , Faial or Pico. is almost a lonely rock in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. i use to go there two, sometimes three times a year. i have a old warehouse there, in an old and abandoned small harbour. you can see it here:

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictu...e3852107aee9ebd9/f8b1e2a0.jpg&caption=armazem

it's almost the paradise.
well, it's my way to understand the paradise... clear water, no tourists and a lot of big fishes

cheers

d.

Last edited:
David,

You guys are getting me excited! I have many questions. What types and size of fish do you hunt there? What type and size of guns do you use? What depths do you have to hunt to get good fish? What is the water temp? Are you talking about Rui Torres? If Portugal ends up hosting the next Worlds do you think there's any chance it'll be in the Azores?

Scott

Hi Scott
the Azorean islands have a lot of different species of fish: from the small and very good tasted groupers (big groupers, too) until the big Yellowtails, Onos and so on.
about the size of the guns, in my opinion the good choice is 115/130M for all uses and 160/180M for the bluewater. the water temp goes from te 17C in the winter to the 22C maximum in the summer. about the world cup, i sincerely hope that it never reach the Azorean waters, sorry. i'm talking about something like "soul spearfishing", i dont want imagine a crowd of fellows in the water, running in fast boats from spot to spot. no, that is not for me. altough, five years ago, the bluewater world cup have place in the azorean island of Santa Maria. Terry Maas caught, if i'm remember well, the bigest fish, a yellowtail, i supose. but, as you know, this is another kind of spearfishing... :)
cheers for all
David

Hi Scott,

Why do you not join us next summer??
The fish will probably be a bit smaller what you are used to but the viz and the place itself is sheer magic!

We are planning on going there in early June.....should be good time for tuna (bigeye and BF....possibly some early incoming YF). Also...that is the time when water temps hit the magical 18-19C and the big AJ's should be running in. Warm currents should be bringing few odd wahoo in too.

If you are keen and need further info....pm me.
More divers we come up with...more BW boat dives we can manage.

Cheers,
Mikko

Hi Mikko
if you and Rui can rent the boat and organize the trip to Pricesa Alice Bank, and if you need more guys, maybe i can enjoy the group.

That's the spirit!!!:)
Good bit is that most of the game anglers are not about that time yet.....better chances to strike a deal with some captain in Horta.

Cheers,
Mikko

HI Mikko,

Going to Princess Alice Bank is the ideal place to go if you visit the Azores, but getting there is a problem! Most of the Big Game fishing boats don't seem that interested in taking spearo's ( I made a few enquiries earlier on in the year). Likewise, with the scuba diving charters. The other problem is that it is expensive, the fuel required for the 80 mile round trip is not cheap.I was quoted Eu700 for the day. If you try to spread the cost between a number of guy's then once the numbers go above 2-3 people it's gets difficult to do bluewater hunting (too many people in the water!).
If you plan to go to Pico, it might be cheaper to try to get someone to take you to the pinnacles between Faial and Pico in the channel, there are supposed to be a few good spots there.

Cheers

Justin

By the way, if you get bored with spearfishing there's always plenty of people willing to make you part with your money and take you whale-watching :duh

Cheers

Justin

Justin,

It seems that we are sorted on this.
The base where we will be staying promised to arrange this if weather permits.
Too many people in the water....well...we simply need to take turns then.
I doubt that we need to pay that much.

Yes....without any preliminary arrangements this could cost much more.

Cheers,
Mikko

EDIT: Seems that this 700 figure was pretty close after all..... :vangry
Good bit is that these boats should be able to transport up to 12 people.
That would come to some 60-70E a pop...nay bad for the trip if you ask me.:EDIT

Last edited:
Mikko,

If you manage to get to Princess Alice Bank, good luck, send some pictures of what you catch!!!

Justin

Will do...naturally.
We should have one or two pretty experienced cameramen with us, so...
Also planning on shooting some video there too.

Cheers,
Mikko

Mikko,

Thank you very much for the offer! I was seriously considering it but with my second child due on May 26, there’s probably about a 0% chance my wife would let me go.

David,

I agree with you, I certainly wouldn't want a World Spearfishing Championship held in my backyard fishing grounds.

Scott

I know this an old post but, A buddy and I have had enough of 0 degrees and no fish in denmark. So we are taking a trip in feb to some clear water. We where thinking about azores? I know the water is cold but that is no problem for us we are pretty used to that! What we need is good viz and nice fishing. Not nessersary a lot of fishes beacuse we only shoot like one or two fish every day for dinner. I would be nice if there were AJ´s
Would azores be good, or ar there any other suggestions?

best regards johan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT