• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Azores again....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi!

February is way too early for AJ's in Azores as far as I know.
I think that the only game fishes around at that time are bigeye and bluefin tuna.

Cheers,
Mikko

Weather's not too good over there at this time of year, very windy and wet!

It's so so.....
I have heard some very disturbing reports from there.
Too many bubblies there these days.
It is a huge risk to go out there just to notice that a diving charter parks next our boat and throws out lot of bubblies. We all know how pelagic predators like about that.
As far as I know all the worth mentioning game fish has been speared around the central group lately. I have heard no good reports from Alice. If someone has anything on this, please do share.

We have made a decision to assess the situation once there. The possibility is certainly there, but we really need to see how the odds are at that time.

Other than that, all looks pretty good. Boaties/boats arranged. One of these blokes used to spend his childhood on a tunaboat.....he is said to be a master of spotting tuna schools. :) *sharpens APEX shafts*

More than tuna, I'm looking forward to possibly landing a big wahoo. They should be arriving at those times and will be after some grub for sure. It would be great to have some dorado action too but I'm a bit sceptical about that as the water may be a tad too cool at that time. Good warm current may however bring them in.

AJ's and shads will be around for sure, and especially shad will make coast launches worthwhile.

Something I'm very much looking forward to.

Cheers,
M

Azores - Squinty's interested

Hey Guys - are you off to the Azores then ?

Do you need spearo's to make up numbers ?

Yep. Going to Pico on the 6th of June for 2 weeks.
We have enough people already but if you are keen to join us...feel free.
PM me for further info.

Cheers,
Mikko

Azores

Ok Mikko, sounds good. Ill have to be back in touch nearer the time though - im working offshore at the mo - N. Sea (cold, grim) with no end date in sight, and have another job end of June ....so it may work out.........I think ill need a bigger gun ! Squint

hi to you all.
i'm from Pico but i'm at lisbon finishing studies so i'll be in pico by the end of this month. it'd been fun to meet you guys there but the action already took place for you... how did it go? any pictures? could you give some advice since i'll start blue water hunting this year (or try)? tuna, wahoo... tips, depts anything...
i hope that you liked the island...
Fernando Pereira

Did not go all that well. Some 4-6kg Irio's caught from the eastern parts and Squinty nailed a 9,6kg barracuda on the very first day.

No mentionable pelagics spotted.

Guy you wish to talk to is Michael from Pico sport (next to marina in Madalena).
He sure knows the ropes in Pico. Give him my best when you talk to him.

Tips for BW hunting.....patience, patience, patience, patience and a good boat.
We had the boat but not the patience.

You are arriving there in prime time. While we were there the weather was unusually cold and rainy...now the temps are getting better.

It is a great place, but for BW hunting there are better destinations.
But if you live there....great!:)

Cheers,
Mikko

i probably know him but can you add some info on Michael some friends are going there and my fathers boat is small for the bwh where did you got the boat? with Michael?
thanks for the info and hope i have better luke :p
fernando

Just go to the whale watching booth in marina of Madalena and ask for Michael.
We got the boat from there.....very expensive.

I guess it is just about spending enough time in most likely places.
We were there for limited time only and hence did not wish to be spending all of the time floating in big blue.

Cheers,
Mikko

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT