• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

back from Cuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

takeshi

Oct 6, 2004
Hello all, I got back from a trip to Cuba last night. Did reef hunting from the shore in playa Ancon in Trinidad and cayo Jutias and cayo Levisa on the north coast west of Havana. The best freediving and hunting waters I've been at so far.

Attachments

• 289.JPG
    289.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 349.JPG
    349.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 370
  • 355.JPG
    355.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 262.JPG
    262.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: Freediver81
Good job for diving from the shore. Why did you shoot a bermuda chub? :yack The mutton snapper is real nice! What depth did you find most of the fish?

Angelos

I got most the fish at quite shallow depth 6-10 m or so. The reef edge was always a long way out so it was hard to find good spots with some depth. I only found one good spot were the reef edge was easily accessible from the shore.

wow

thakeshi

good job in cuba

that remember my old time there when I used to spear

Im so happy to see this pics

tell us more about cuba and spearfishing

saludos --- " Te ganastes un premio" for beeing the first person posting pics from cuba I think so

The best freediving and hunting waters I've been at so far.

Yes I told you

seeing this pics this is what I call a truth spearfishing --- not need to go to a boat--- a " Lancha de motor" for spearing--- trust me that remember me

I usted to swim a lot of meters out os the shore to the "Canto del beril "to get my "Presa"

and I did it alsmot everyday ----

Neshamah, I met some cuban spearos at Cayo Jutias, when I got out of the water at 6 in the evening, they had been in since 9 in the morning. And whithout a wetsuit. I saw them on their way back to their car. They carried a 2 m stick between them with more fish than I have ever seen any spearo take out of the water. A huge amount of big and small fish, pargo, loro, guasa and alot of fish I dont know by name Those guys did spearing for a living, selling the fish to paladares. I asked them if they would go the next day as well. They said no, the next day they were just going to rest.

Reactions: Freediver81
Neshamah, I met some cuban spearos at Cayo Jutias, when I got out of the water at 6 in the evening, they had been in since 9 in the morning. And whithout a wetsuit. I saw them on their way back to their car. They carried a 2 m stick between them with more fish than I have ever seen any spearo take out of the water. A huge amount of big and small fish, pargo, loro, guasa and alot of fish I dont know by name Those guys did spearing for a living, selling the fish to paladares. I asked them if they would go the next day as well. They said no, the next day they were just going to rest.

Yes-- that is the cuban style --that was my life -- all day spearing since the morning until the sun set jajaj- I never had a wet suit- just fins mask and snorquel Oh and my speargun Made in cuban jaja

saludos you make feel happy with all this news from cuba! that's great

I whish you can go again-- and meet more good people there

One of my dreams is that- to go back there again to spear and freedive

saludos amigo

Daniel.

PC- more pics will be apreciated

being Cuban too this pictures bring a lot of nostalgia ... havent dived those waters in 13 years :(

being Cuban too this pictures bring a lot of nostalgia

Me too I haven't dive there about 15 years

One day we are going to freedive togheter there amigo

and put in practice all we learn from people from deeperblue

saludos what part of cuba are you ? de que parte?

this picture I post is call -the ambrosio beach-- He is my father parent- I remember when I was a kid going there with my father to take CAMARONES -- is the only house there close to the water and he did his living from fishing-

at the other side of that bay lived pipin

saludos

saludos neshamah

I am from Habana (Lawton). My dad started spearing when he was drafted and sent to a remote base in Islas de Pinos. He would bring back the fish to eat with his buddies because the food was TERRIBLE. After he was let out, he continued doing it for fun. We used to do most of our diving in Jibacoa, Matanzas. I remember there was a huge reef a few miles offshore that would actually stick out of the water. Ahhh amazing place -I have not been back since I was 13 years old.

Ciao

13 year old -- Oh you were very yong by that time

You have to go there again--- one day

I did my spearfishing moslty in the bay of matanzas I spend the whole day in the water from la costa --punta sabanilla-- faro malla to near varadero

also I did spearfishing in Playa larga-very clear water

When I came to usa I stop all this for 10 years --since I find a website about freediving ect

Now Im practicing at the pool
and getting ready when I go back to cuba

ahora me siento mas preparado que antes--- uno cometia muchos errores pescando submarinos cosas que ahora se -

saludos

actually this is what

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT