• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Back tothe Old Country!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004
Unlikely as the title sounds, the missus gave me The Southern Italian Farmers' Table for Christmas. It has some good looking recipes in it, even for seafood. I'll give them a try and post the best. Gawd, I'm ready to emigrate!

Went with wifie, both girls and their new husbands down to san Antonio's River Walk at New Year's. Stopped for din at a neat restaurant called "La Frite"--Belgian cuisine with specialty french fries done right. Wonderful--and I ate near the whole bowl of mussels myself. Yum! :t

OMG! Pomme frit done with tallow? I had those in Antwerp. Spoiled me for life it did. And I spent the entire ten day river cruise gorging myself on Dutch and Belgian mussels. even went to a Mussel Museum where the entire industry was explained in detail. Gawd, what a trip!

And I love the River Walk, too.

It could happen. My favorite deer hunting ranch is only about an hour and a half northeast of SA. We're not planning a trip this year . . . yet! But it sure could happen.

Well, the first recipe isn't really in the book, just mentioned in it but I had to give it a try. And no, it's not for fish.

Chicken Roasted on a Bed of Rosemary

Defrost a chicken and bring it to room temperature. Pat it dry. If you want, let it sit uncovered in the fridge overnight. This puts a really nice crispy skin on the outside.

Line a 9x9 pan with aluminum foil and then go out in the garden and clip a lot of rosemary branches. Not 'sprigs' people, branches! Lay out a bed of these branches on the foil thick enough to keep a 3 lb. +/- lb. fryer off the bottom of the pan.

Salt, pepper and garlic the inside and under the skin of the breast and legs and truss. It helps if you cut out the wishbone, too.

Roast at 450F for 25 minutes and then reduce the heat to 400F for another 45. Check to make sure the bird is at least 160F internal. If it is, take it out and let it sit for 25 min. and carve.

I served this with risotto. Gnocchi would work or any pasta. Vegetable of your choice.

I'd drink a red with this, not a white. It's pretty boldly flavored, especially the white meat. And it's easy, too. I like easy . . .

Reactions: ReefTroll
That sounds delicious, Sarge. I have a very prosperous rosemary bush growing outside my house, so maybe I should give it a shot.

I will be ripping out my remaining Verigated Pittasporums late this Spring. The heat here makes them decline (no matter how much they're watered) and die. Cut Ants decimate them (carry cut leaves below ground to grow fungus--voracious litle buggers) so...I am planting Rosemary all along the front! Let's see how that works! Might even repel snakes!!??!!

Another sauce for baking fish, pork, or skinless chicken:

2 cups plain yogurt
1 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP Rice ine vinegar
2 TBSP Fiesta Garlic Salad Dressing Season (sub: Garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, black pepper, verrrry finely ground sage in equal parts)
4 TBSP very finely minced green onion
2 TBSP finely minced garlic (jarred okay)

garnish:
wafer thin sliced white onion
12 sweet grape tomatoes halved lengthwise
TBSP drained non pariel capers

Pre-heat oven to 450' F or whatever ' C that is for the rest of the world. Mix everything for sauce except green onion and minced garlic in bowl and hand whisk until smooth. Fold in green onion & minced garlic. Place your prefered protien (hopefully self speared fish) on foil (shiney side up) sprayed with non-stick olive oil spray -or- light wipe of LIGHT olive oil (won't smoke). Thinly smooth sauce over entire protien portion. Seperate white onion slices into rings and arrange over portion. Evenly distribute capers over top and lastly place tomatoes cut side up--try nice geometric patterns for eye/plate appeal. Bake 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Sauce is enough for 4 portions. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oh, I will, I will! I've got some pork chops out in the freezer just crying to be done that way. Yum!

Having looked the seafood recipes over I find that most of them (maybe all?) are for fresh sardines. I guess I'll have to make a trip to my favorite Chinese market's frozen food section but in the meantime . . .

Hunter Style Quail (and it should be dynamite with game hens, too)

6-8 quail
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 oz bulk sweet Italian sausage
1 medium onion sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 bay leaves (preferable fresh, if possible)
1 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
2 tsp rosemary
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped green (or kalamata) olives

Season the birds with salt and pepper then sear in hot oil on all sides. If necessary, do half the birds and put them aside before doing the others. They should be golden brown all over. Put aside.

Add the sausage, onion, garlic and a pinch of salt to the pan; cook until browned and the onions are tender (5-6 min.). Add the bay leaves, parsley and rosemary and cook about another minute. Add the wind and deglaze the pan. Reduce to half. Add the quail and stock, reduce heat and cook until falling-off-the-bone done (20-30 min.) Add the olives and cook another 2-3 minutes. Season to taste. Pour some of the sauce over the birds and use the rest over risotto, gnocchi or a large pasta.

p.s. I thickened the sauce with a roux because I like sauces that stick to stuff. Your mileage may vary.

Ahh, that sounds so good. Hundreds of quail run by my house all of the time, but I live in a no-hunting area. That will change :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT