• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Backpacking and Diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

allegrini

Jan 28, 2003
My future wife and I are going backpacking in Africa and Southeast Asia and we are bringing some of our diving equipment with us.

We've never been in these areas before.

We are planning to carry our masks, snorkels and boots but I'm not sure about carring my fins across the world. Specially due to the bulkiness of them.

Do you know if I can rent fins in these areas? I don't have any experience in renting equipment outside Europe...

Thanks! :p

If you make it to Bali (which you should), you will find that there are fins to rent everywhere there is a dive shop, and there are lots of shops here. I travel with a big backpack and a monofin....the monofin is not "backpacker friendly", but I need it, so I take it.
I have found that snorkelling and freediving is fun even without fins, if there are no fins around......there is a lot to see in the shallows of Indonesia.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Thanks. for the help. I think I will risk without it. If we can rent tanks we most certainly will be able to rent some fins.... I think boots. mask and snorkle will do us!

Thanks for the help! :D

I will try to convince my fiancee about Bali. After the events last year she is a little concerned about going there. Any particular places you recomend there? I heard loads about the area but nothing very specific. I know that for some time the place is tourist-crazy, and its always good to chill-out in a beach and have some drinks with fellow travellers. By the way do they serve Guiness there? :cool:

Thanks

Hi there,

I recently came back from a year traveling south east asia, and found that there are some realy great places to dive. some tips-

in Thailand try, Koh Tao, and the similan & surin islands

in Malaysia try the Perhentian islands

in Indonesia there are many places,

Pulau way of the northern tip of Sumatra

Bali, go to Padang Bai for easy acces to the best sites ( contact Geko dive)

Lombok, go to the Gili islands (Gili Air is my fav)

check out liveaboard operators 'Divetastic' who go to the Moyo national marine park north of Sumbawa

but best of all get yourselves to Labuanbajo in Flores and hook up with 'Oceanic Diving' the dive sites of the Komodo national park are fantastic. for the other half it is best to stay at the Saraya island beach huts, 40 mins by boat from Labuanbajo itself.

in all of these places you can get 2 dives with full equipment fo $40 max. if you are buying in bulk say 5 days (10 dives) you may be able to get as low as $30 per day (2 dives). most place will include a light lunch

hope this is of some use

Thanks for all the info!

Jason,

Thanks for the extended info on the area! We really appreciated it!

We are really looking forward to go to the area! :D

It will have to wait until October.... :waterwork

Thanks again.

allegrini

Jason has obviously travelled much more extensively than me in Asia!
Don't worry about your safety in Bali....or anywhere for that matter. I just spent 3 weeks staying in a hotel with a view of the bomb-site! Security is as high as could be expected in Kuta and the rest of Bali, so no worries. Last year a guy in Washington was sniping people on the streets; would that stop you from going to America? Bali is safe and the people are friendly. CNN is not reality!! KILL YOUR TV! LIFE IS SHORT!(sorry about the rant)
If you go to Bali, some of the best diving is off of Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penuda. Tulamben on the main island has a shore diveable wreck, so you only need to rent gear if you're comfortable without a guide.
Have a nice holiday wherever you end up :) , and let us know how it goes.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

My advice is to bring also your fins since it gives you the opportunity to at least freedive some more or less untouched remote areas. For me I also really like my own fins. The diving will not be as good as with a pair of rental fins.

Please also check my thread on the Philippines. If you are interested I can give good advice on the Philippines.

Erik
I agree do not accept everything they say on CNN. For myself I like to see things with my own eyes.

If bulk is an issue, you may consider bringing a pair of small bodyboarding fins. You can still rent proper fins if you are in an area with dive shops. If you end up in a remote area, you'll be glad you had them.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT