• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Backpacking and Spearfishing the Mediterranean

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kjflyfish

Kolt
Jul 24, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I probably don't utilize DeeperBlue as much as I should, but some of you may know me as kjflyfish on Spearboard and Kolt45 on other spearfishing/freediving websites, especially on the New Zealand Spearo's Corner website. I'm from Florida and have been spearfishing extensively for many years now and have competed in spearfishing events in Florida, North Carolina, California, and most of all in New Zealand where I have lived for the last four years.

I'm currently backpacking in Europe and will soon be making my way toward the Med. I do not have a set itenerary and I'm looking for people to meet up with and spearfish across the Mediterranean. At the moment, the loose plan is to start in Spain and make my way East, ending up in Turkey, but I am very flexible and can change plans daily. I hope to meet as many fellow spearfishermen as possible and build a network in this awesome part of the world.

If you or anyone you know would be interested in hosting a fellow spearo for a day's diving, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Clear waters,
Kolt Johnson
http://www.koltfish.tumblr.com

Divers in the Med would have great time taking our dearest Kolt diving for a day.

He is sort of a reasonably OK person I guess (if you like that sort of thing, and so forth and stuff).

Yip. Please take Kolt diving coz he is good at it and truly loves it.

He is also very good looking, so don't take your sister. He is also known to be charming, so don't take your mother either (unless she is single). You could probably take your dog so long as it was really fat.

Giz my $10 now Kolt.

Last edited:
Chur UJ for that stunning reference...

How 'bout I give ya the 10er when I get back in April? Great Barrier trip with the maggot?

At this stage we are doing Chatham Island in March (grouper) and the Fiordland in April (more grouper and some other deep water fish), so a Great Barrier Island trip is unlikely until winter.

Sorry dude.

Good to know you plan to return to NZ though. I thought we had lost you forever.

I'm Definitely coming back to NZ! I want to get my permanant returning resident's visa, which means I'll be a proper permanant resident for good. That will keep lots of options open for me, which is always a good thing. Besides the job market for environmental scientists is way better in NZ right now.

Any spots open on those trips? Chances are I'll be back by mid-late March, but I'm calling it April just in case. I'm not too interested in the Chathams, but Fiordland sounds awesome - haven't been there yet.

Where would be the best places to shore dive in the Med? I know that's a huge question, but I'm up for anything from Portugal to Turkey.

I can see you have been in Sweden! Did you also visit Denmark?
You should have tried spearfishing here, I could have taken you out, no problem!

Well, I am of the point here, good luck finding spearfishing opportunities along the Med!

Hellooo!

Planning a trip to Sardinia in november. Looking at all possibilities since ryan air is bein a little b!atch bout bringin a speargun. Lived in the bay of islands for a few yrs and got into the spearo thing over there. Live in Holland now and no spearfishin here unfortunately. Will hopefully be there from the 15th till the 22nd (nov) once I've sorted the gun issue..

regards,

Dutchie

Hey Dutchie, I'm in Amsterdam now, so if you're around, give me a shout at kjflyfish@gmail.com. As for Sardinia, that is a real possibility, so stay in touch. I'll check this thread regularly

Update: I fly into Barcelona tomorrow night and will be there for a while, getting new gear and looking for places to dive. I'll make my way east, looking for cool little towns to settle and good dive spots. Please get in touch if you're along the coast from Barcelonda to Rome and want to dive. I'll try to post photos of my adventures as soon as I can.

Sounds good!

Sorry couldn't show u around, was a bit busy. Have fun over there, Sardinia 15th till the 22nd of nov is a definate for us.

Regards

Hey Dutchie, sounds good. I'll keep those dates in mind for sure, and hopefully it will all work out!

All the med divers I know are in Kalamata right now, but it might be hard to convince them to do any spearfishing until the end of the comp.

I'm trying to line something up in Croatia/Slovenia/Italy for afterwards, so I'll email you if that happens.

New pictures are up from Cap de Creus on the Costa Brava. Adrian was my official guide and photographer. An awesome spot to dive no doubt!

KOLTFISH

Update: I'm in Nice, France and will be heading to Corsica soon. Looking to hook up with other freedivers and spearos. I'm working on sorting out my French spearo insurance/fishing license tomorrow.

Good luck Kolt, Get someone to photograph you fishing!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…