• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Backpacking and Spearfishing the Mediterranean

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Update: I'm in Nice, France and will be heading to Corsica soon. Looking to hook up with other freedivers and spearos. I'm working on sorting out my French spearo insurance/fishing license tomorrow.

Corsica is wonderful. But take care to respect the rules and keep your speargun very far off from Marine Parks. In Corsica they get really nasty with foreign spearos, and the slightest violation will get you some extremely severe punishment. :blackeye

Last edited:
Hey Spaghetti, thanks for the heads up. I'm not at all looking for trouble and I am very happy to abide by all the regulations. I don't care to shoot the groupers, I don't need crayfish, and it seems like really good diving doesn't have to be in a park. If I can get on to a few dentex, then I'll be a happy camper. I have already seen some really nice (2kg, maybe a bit bigger) guiltheads/dorada in some really busy parts of the Nice coast, so I'm very much looking forward to Corsica!

Last edited:
First shore dive in Corsica: saw a 45-50 kg bluefin tuna in an underwater grassland, about 14 meters depth. Totally surprised and under-gunned.

Nobody is going to believe this and I don't care :)

Sorry I wasn't here with the camera Kolt, it would have been a "trophy" picture. Water as clear as Cap de Creus?

I've been on a couple more dives but have not been to any deep rocky places, so haven't really found success. I saw one nice dentex on my last dive but it was shallow and he was not coming in. The vis has fallen considerably in the last three days due to very strong winds. Took a break from diving yesterday and went hiking up in the mountains. Incredible scenery! Hopefully I can get photos on the blog soon.

Update: the conditions and vis are back to near-perfect, and I've found a few better spots.

I went for a dive today and saw quite a few dentex, a bonito chasing three mini almaco jacks, and a rather large queenfish-looking jack species. All just out of range. The diving here is challenging to say the least. I think finding the right hunting grounds is paramount - lots of rocky cover would be nice instead of the acres of grass I'm currently hunting.

Attachments

• shorey.png
    shorey.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
I went first thing this morning and saw quite a few fish, including this guy. Well stoked!

Attachments

• dentex.png
    dentex.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
Nice catch! And no sign yet of the infamous corsican law enforcement! :t
As you see, play fair and no trouble. :)

Hey Spaghetti, thanks very much. I have to say though that I'm curious about all this talk of law enforcement. I have no reason to break the law, and like to immerse myself in the local vibe, so I don't see why I would recieve so much trouble from the authorities. Im just a backpacker trying to make friends around the world and learn about differnt people and their cultures.

Thanks for the pics, nice stuff, and I'm glad you hooked up with Adrian. That's one guy I'd love to dive with.

Connor

Shore dived the Sanguinaires islands off the southwest coast of Corsica today. Estimated 8-9 km swim. Not really the fish life we were hoping for. Incredible vis, tons of baitfish, but not many predators around.

BALI? Isn't that a bit far from Turkey? :) Or maybe there's a European Bali somewhere?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT