• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bahamas Return, 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey Ted, where's the rest of the video?? Your job's not done.

And where's my disc with ALL the pics on it??

Connor

(nobody EVER accused me of being patient)

Great discussion ;)

It's not unusual to loose a lot of weight on boats, the outside life, the waves and rolling, the constant physical action, the constant chatting etc. A lot of energy and breathing that requires replenishment and a lot of sleep. The normal 8 hours are not enough for such work out's on the ocean. Now add freediving and like Connor says you won't be able to replenish it with a normal eating drinking routine.
Next to the aforementioned factors to the BO, I would like to add lack of rest, exhaustion.

But Connor your weight loss torture trip may be very attractive to many ladies, most of them like to loose a few pounds - like they are programmed to want.

Lovely story, and imagery, thanks for sharing!

Kars

Connor - the disks are burned. I have been working on the 2nd vid for the past three days, here and there. Turns out the "fun" videos require a lot more editing :hmm. If I don't have it done by Wednesday, I'll ship out the disks anyway - so you will get them by this weekend.

BTW, a steady diet of sunflower kernels and pad tai has brought me back up to 153-155. Energy levels are back up, too - spent 5 hours in the water today.

That Pad Thai is serious energy food. Puts lots of tires on your waistline. Thanks for the update. I can understand it would take a while to make us presentable.

Hmm, Kars, that's a truly fascinating idea. A ladies trip. I wonder if I'd get any takers? Not sure my wife would approve.

You are right about the sleep thing. Outside of thunderstorms, we get about 9 hours and more would be nice.

Connor

Last edited:
Ted. So glad to hear you seem almost normal, at least to yourself.

Connor. Even though I am not a girl, I know some, and I would love to come and vomit over the side of your boat for a week. I'm sure I could lose lots of weight!

I'd definitely need several days of nauseating acclimatization before I'd be ready for the fun part. The good news is I really perfected the art of vomiting my first day out at hatteras and can pretty much guarantee getting zero vomit in or on your boat even in the most brutal conditions.

The life forms are out in full force at the river mouth this spring - also - you might recall that northern pike I tried to run down with my monofin last spring.
At the time I felt sorta guilty - because it had a bad under-bite and looked pretty shabby. Well - I hit the marina breakwall the other day and there it was again - exact same place and less shabby looking.

Here are a few shots from the river.

Last edited:
Cool, Chris! I love the "bait ceiling" in all the photos!
I've never seen a redhorse while freediving.

Thanks Ted.

Is that what those are called? They are HUGE. Big as small/medium carp - very wary. Also a channel cat - which is pretty uncommon around here - only on video though.

Most of those shots are very shallow - standing depth - and in strong current.
The yellow river water hits the cold, blue bay water and you get this amazing emerald green.

The hydration thing came up just a few days ago with a friend of mine who was drinking tons of water, peeing clear, and still feeling off, slightly light-headed, and thirsty.

When I pressed further, I learned that she'd been avoiding salt for health reasons and eating a very alkaline diet (salads, few carbs and no salt). She said she also preferred not to cook with salt.

The irony, is that this kind of diet is optimal (but complicated) for static apnea, when you are basically at 1 atm and don't have to swim through a rapid decrease in pressure (or stand up quickly).

It sucks for staying conscious.

I had been in a similar situation many years ago without knowing it. Plain and simple, you can't absorb enough water without proper electrolytes.

Sodium
Potassium
Chloride
Bicarbonate

Bicarbonate plays a big role in maintaining normal levels of pH in the body. :martial

Peeing clear pee, for lack of a better term, is only a rough indication of hydration assuming you've got good electrolyte balance. It means squat it you are nutritionally and otherwise deprived. If you are still thirsty, that's a bad sign.

Eric reminded me that the general public often hears of reducing salt intake to combat high blood pressure. As he put it, roughly paraphrased, In order to combat hypertension, we're going to give you drugs and put you on a diet that makes you dehydrated, thereby relieving blood pressure. Never mind the effects of chronic dehydration!

We've often joked that we should be sponsored by Kettle Chips. Several years ago we started eating them between dive sessions and found ourselves rejuvenated. Hmmm. Salt and potatoes.

Per 28g serving (we'd eat half a bag or more each!)
Sodium 190mg
Potassium 400mg
Chloride content (not listed)

Still swear by them.

Anyway, bring chips next time! (and oral rehydration salts)

Pete

Reactions: unirdna
Chris,

That little river mouth is some of the best diving in the world. Carp are weird!

And don't forget the time we saw the 17 foot musky on acid (the musky, not us, guys).

Pete

Aye Pete. Neptune knows what alls in that river water. Legend is theres dead hippies tried to fly off bridges back in the sixties; their bodies so saturated with psychedelics, its still leaching into the water.

Coelacanths are back this year - big as box cars and speaking english!

Last edited:
Drinking too much water without adding in some salt/electrolytes can cause Hyponatremia. This is something more common in long distance runners- and the reason they supplement with salt tablets, Gatordade, etc.- but, I like the idea of just chowing down on potato chips instead.

Something I also do for long days in the water is carry some running gels with me on my float. This way I can down a gel, just like I would on a long run, and the wash it down with plain old water. It's easy on the stomach and keeps me in the water longer.

A normal day in the water, like yesterday, goes from 4-6 hours. When we have bigger events, like Freedive-A-Palooza, I'll be in the water for over 10 hours- and loving every minute of it. :) Having things like gels and Gatorade are the only way I could keep going on a day like that.

Post long run workout my favorite recovery drink was chocolate milk. Knowing Ted's love of all things dairy I would think he might want to give it a shot to stave off any future weight loss. Might be hard to keep it cold on a small boat floating around the Bahamas.

Something else that I use for diving in freshwater is a water bottle with a backpacking water filter built into it. this way I only need to carry one standard sized water bottle with me instead of gallons of water. When i run out I just take the bottle down below the thermocline and re-fill. The filter keeps out the bad stuff and I get cool water to drink all day long. This isn't the exact model that I have, but you'll get the idea:
Katadyn Exstream XR Purifier Water Bottle at REI.com

Jon

I could never eat gels and drink gatorade all day. Too sugary for my taste.

But if it works, do it!

One or the other- not both at the same time.

Sorry to be a poop, Chris, but I can just about guarantee that you will not get seasick on my boat and will lose lots of weight anyway. We got that bugaboo handled, so you won't get a chance to feed the fish. They will have to feed you. You are, however, more than welcome to do a trip or two with me. Girls did you say?, sounds good. I'll bet Claire would get a kick out of this stuff.

Ah, the river, quite a place. The pike has been absorbing your aura or maybe the stuff coming out of the old hippies.

Chocolate milk eh? Well, I'll see what I can do.

Connor

On the electrolytes thing, I've found that I want a modestly salty snack more or less all day while diving. I make my own trail mix, better known a "gorp". I think I want more salt than normal, even when diving in salt water.

Connor

For sure them oral rehydration salts do the trick. I use about 1/4 a pack in a liter or so of water. (emergency dose is 1/1) I feel it immediately.

Pete, the carp are in the 'interrogative' mode - behavior is quite similar to those Caribbean reef sharks if you've speared something. The river mouth is freaky because of the size of the fish. Though this year I actually saw baby freshwater drum - perfect little miniatures about 5 inches long schooled up with the big guys. This is also the place and time when I see HUGE smallmouth bass. I see all these species all summer, but never so many big ones in such concentration.

Connor: I think you need to consider buying a bigger boat for the 2010 trip, we can all chip in.

What the wonderful web tells me:

Hydration Mix:
- one level teaspoon of salt
- eight level teaspoons of sugar
- one litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled (5 cupfuls)
- DON'T boil mix afterwards

I think you hit the solution to my problem with the not liking to chug water: lots of little drinks. I may try that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT