• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bahamas Tournament

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PILOT

Deep Purple
Oct 30, 2002
A friend of mine sent me this...not much of a spearo myself but there is a bunch of hardcore hawaiin sling spearos in miami that put this together

Last edited:
try this again.......

......it keeps getting cut off......the botom is supposed to read,
"hosted by Seacrest Marina and Weech's Bimini Dock, all information and rules are available at www.seacrestbimini.com"
I checked out the website and it is really detailed, not sure how many hawaiin sling spearos are left out there though..

Last edited:
I think this one's right....scanning is obviously not my thing

Attachments

• bstlogo.jpg
    bstlogo.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 605
slingers tournament

Hi Pilot

you raise an interesting point, where are all the slingers?? I don't see much evidence at all on deeper blue, yet there are a whole bunch of slingers in SE Florida and at least a thousand full time commercial slingers (fish and lobster) that live and dive the
Bahamas, not to mention zillions of amateurs, Bahamian and tourist. I don't know about anywhere else in the world, but it seems strange to me that there is so little input on the site. For Bahamian conditions, a sling is my favorite gear, not to mention more effective for what I do.

I know what you mean.....not too much talk of sling spearing which surprises me......I know that the guy who told me about this is part of a crew that is agressively anti-speargun in south florida waters (and obviously bahamian waters where it is illegal)....unfortunately most of the americans openly use guns in the bahamas anyways because there is no regulation.

Bahamas regulation

Bahamian enforcement is pretty spotty, but people need to realize that their philosophy is "enforce little and throw the book at those that get caught" Their book is pretty heavy. A friend of mine lost his boat and a lot else and paid a huge fine ( lots of thousands). He and the crew spent several nights in the Nassau jail. The conditions were pretty awful. His offence was having a passenger shot one fish before clearing customs. They had stopped on the bank to rest after a rough stream crossing. It never occured to him that he had broken their law.
Be aware that an american with a speargun is one of the things that rings their chimes.

Reactions: PILOT
I've heard that they have recently started patrolling south near orange key where people are constantly spearing/fishing and collecting tropical fish commercially and then running back to the states without clearing...the photo was taken off a wreck down there near orange.....that picture has been all over the place in miami and in lot of bars throughout the bahamas. whats most amazing about it is that it is in 80 ft of water and the hogfish is casting a shadow, it gets so clear in the bahamas sometimes, viz is not so great in new york. The original is in color and is not cropped for the poster, there is a series of 6-7 shots that show the whole sequence of the shot and ascent, if anyone knows where to find the whole group on the web please let me know, i checked the website but it only has this one. I sent an email to the guy in Bimini to see if he knew where to get them. I too have heard some pretty bad stories about "fox hill" in nassau, thats definately some place you don't want to end up

slings

I am glad top see that there is a tournament that does not allow guns. I only use slings, unless I am in bluewater. The rush of landing a 30+ pound black grouper on a sling is unreal. And slings are just much faster. You can shoot 2-3 fish on one breathe, which is great if you find a herd of hogfish. I hope I can make it to the tournament. If you are interested in slings or pole spears, check out HogFishWorld

www.hogfishworld.com

Reactions: PILOT
I checked it out and looked at the pics. There's an awful lot of small fish in there.

-M

Those looked like some pretty average hogfish.....I would'nt call them small.....maybe one or two but they were all legal. Lets see a shot of the cgirl from the fron page

Is anyone here doing this tournament? I want to enter and spear in the bahamas again, but I have no boat to go in.

I would go but I am still going to be in nyc.......I'm sure there has to be some people that need a partner....I'll ask some of my buddies in Palm Beach if they are going...they would be happy to take anyone along.......

Thanks, I might have someone lined up, but if that doesn't work out, I would like to know someone else that will be going.

Paul

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT