• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bait Ball Speafishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SASpearo

Desk Driver
Dec 6, 2001
OK, I know some (if not all) of you have been following the crazy Souf Efrican Spearo's discussion of Aliwal Shoal, and the sardine run ....

Now I need some info from you guys ...

Has anyone ever dived in a baitball? (bigger than 1000 fish)
What is the best technique for approaching a baitball?
How do you get the best out of a baitball?
What do you have to look out for? (ie each other's backs / BFS's etc)

Any help would be real cool - I've only dived in a biggish ball once, but nothing like we're gonna dive in 2 weeks time.

Evasive Action

Hi SASpearo

The one thing i do know, is that the effective evasive measures employed when BFS's are encountered, does not include shooting your buddies in order to create a diversion. the sharks dont fall for that one anymore.;)

Mark

That's why it's called ....

a "Buddy" knife ..... knife your buddy when dem Johnies're round ...:D

Shark's Eating School 101

"trust me guys, the cleaver ones taste better!"

Damn my engineering english education

Poll - should we have a spell-check for this forum.

shark safty tips

Remember, when faced with a frenzied shark, you dont have to outswim the shark...... just your dive buddy.

Re: Re: Damn my engineering english education

Originally posted by Jay Styron

We do, it's called Sven:D

does he only do english, or can he help me with my french, rofl:D

SA , you are in for the experience of you life !:D
Will you be diving from a boat or shories ?
Anyways you will see the birds working the balls , get in ahead (north) of the fish , if you have a boat with a topman let him direct you so you hit the edge of the ball , dive down under them and wait for the action to unfold !
Try not to get sucked into the ball - difficult !:eek:
You are virtually guaranteed to encounter Johnnies , also dolphins , but the sharks are usually too busy to pay you too much attention . Do try to get your fish out of the water asap though .
Let us know what happened

Both ... hopefully

We'll be writing an 'article' after our trip .... watch this space for some wicked pics!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT