• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

balsa bluewater float?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

scrounger

May 1, 2003
i am planning on making a bluewater float with a balsa core. i am going to glass it over and maybe jellcoat it or allgrip it. Now the question how many cubic inches do i need? the balsa will not be contes grade so it will be between 7 to 10 lbs a cubic foot.

I have a little experience with balsa and with fiberglass covered wood. I think it could be classified as open cell and any hole would allow water to seep in. Wouldn't it be better to use a closed cell foam of the same weight or even better, a (filled) lifeguard float?
To answer the question, salt water is about 64# per cu, ft (1728 cu. in.). The floatation will be about 54# minus 1/3 of the weight of the glass per cu.ft with a 10# form.
If you're wondering how much flotation, Dr. Terry's book (Blue Water Hunting and Freediving) shows a float 54x14x3 inches to handle "any blue water fish" or at least 400+ Tuna.
Aloha
Bill

Last edited:
I know Balsa is not cheap so you should also consider Divinycell. It's somewhat expensive if you have to buy the whole sheet, but if you come across a shipyard, you could get some leftovers at a good price.

I don't have the dimensions of mines, but out of one sheet I made a small and a large. The small one I used on my latest trip and I caught some 100# tuna and the most I saw it sink was probably 20 feet.

Divinycell will last forever and won't require any maintenence. No sanding and almost no gluing.

A finished balsa float will cost me aroud 200 plus the time and for now i have plenty. when you buy bigger stocks of balsa it is never handled by the person hyou are getting it from so if you shop around you can get little mark up. also try not to use the best grade less than 6lbs a cubic foot and the cost goes down again.

I am not worried about it absorbing any water, i doubt i would ever crack the glass and if i did the whole thing would be sealed be resin. the fittings will all be resined in too so no leaks.

That thing is gonna be heavy to log around and might put some good drag behind you. Id go a different route.

Zane...

I did some balsa wood tuna floats.
They do work .
But I dont understand your question.
How many pounds of lift do you want?
Or is that your question?

robert that is the question i am not sure how big to make it. i do not think i need more than 2 cubic feet of balsa to make a good float. and for it being heavey the balsa is just as if not lighter per cubic foor than most good foams i have found and they cost way more. this thing should not weight that much when built

Size would be determined by the fish
you will be after.
I have a big one, that I barely use,
cant really travel with it, and only use
when I go to very specific places.
If I travel, is so much easier for me to take
inflatable floats, if I am after some fish with
tender meat, I will use some smaller floats.
But, then again, you never know what you will find,
so you will have to make a guess acording to either your
own experience or someone who has been there and done that.
I think a few Rob Allen floats is a good buy, they are not too
xpensive and they work great.
There are many inflatables on the market, omer, Riffe,
aimrite, ect.

i have 2 inflatables that would work, but i wanted to go the other route and use a board with a cleat so if i drop the line the whole thing does not pay out

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT