• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

banned substances - which ones?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hypoxiajunkie

May 14, 2004
Which substances are banned from freediving?

I don't plan on doing anything like steroids, or even creatin, but I would like to know what substances are not allowed.

I don't do pot, coke, acid, or anything else like that so that's not what I am asking about.

What's allowed? What's illegal? Under AIDA? Under its competitor (IFDA i think is its name?)

Currently AIDA follows the WADA code (world anti doping agency). So anything banned under WADA is banned under AIDA, which doesn't make much sense, because many of the substances banned under WADA will hurt your performance in freediving (such as caffeine, ephedrine, strychnine, and other stimulants which are also pro-convulsants, i.e. they make samba more likely).

You can download the actual WADA list off the net.

In 2000 an AIDA athlete was disqualified for pseudoephedrine, a stimulant which hurts his performance. It was in his cold medication.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

downloaded, but i have not searched it for creatin.

Also, baking soda is it banned?

epoitin (sp) is banned.

they list a number of substances which are only banned for specific sports and do not list freediving among them!

Creatine and baking soda are not banned.

WADA doesn't know that freediving exists, so when they say that certain substances are banned for certain sports, AIDA makes its own decisions.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

EPO may be best doping for freediving
I ve just read an article about it.
a triathlete said that he could breath every 11 strokes with epo; without epo he breathes every 5 strokes at max. epo helps in hypoxia sports.

Problem is - EPO is banned.

No?

Is it considered illegal to have ever taken such substances? If not, how long would it take EPO to clear out of one's body?

not many people know, but if you could arrange for some to be sent my way i will more than galdly let you know :p

Two doping-test analysis results received recently by AIDA are to be considered as POSITIVE at that moment, regarding IOC-WADA guidelines, and waiting on possible redress procedure :

- Tom SIETAS (Germany) during his World Record attempt made on June 11th, 2004 :

POSITIVE results for METOPROLOL (beta-blocker)

- Sam STILL (Great Britain) during the "AIDA World Team Championsip" in Canada :

POSITIVE for PREDNISONE (corticosteroid)

Official procedures has been now started by the AIDA Office for both athletes.

Just wondering what these drugs are and would they actually increase performance or hinder it. :naughty

Metoprolol dramatically slows your heart and would be a great benefit. Prednisone or any corticosteroid wouldn't have any effect.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Prednisone is used for helping repair degenerating tendons/ligaments/rheumatism I believe.
Metoprolol is to lower blood pressure as far as I know.
Let's sit back and watch....
Cheers,
Erik Y.

and both are illegal, right? (sorry for being purposely stupid - i just want to make sure I and no one else make the mistake)

What a shame. I was really really impressed by Sietas performance!

I would -so- not want to take anything that messed with my hearts natural function. FTN.

Is DHEA (anti-aging drug) on the banned list?

I don't have a search function in my PDF viewer and hope someone might know.

I have prednisone in my home for some reason. I think I got it for emergency asthma cases long time ago, never used it though.
But if it can help asthma, it should have some effect on the respiratory system.
Though still it would be pretty lame if some one used some ointment on a sore muscle and got disq.ed. assuming it didn't effect the perfomance, though how can you tell? chances are that Sam Still will keep increaseing his depth anyway.

As for Tom's case, I'm very disappointed to hear that, but still hope to find a reasonable explenation.
With such a large static margin between him and any other top freediver, he should be able to prove himself in the future.

Hypoxiajunkie, can you spare a few words on that DHEA? some kind of hormonal threatment? those expensive shots that rich middle aged people take with HGH and whatever?

By the 'spirit' of the IOC list, that also bannes increasing substances that are naturally found in the body (like hormones), I'de say DHEA (if it is a hormone) is banned.

Originally posted by DeepThought

Hypoxiajunkie, can you spare a few words on that DHEA? some kind of hormonal threatment? those expensive shots that rich middle aged people take with HGH and whatever?

By the 'spirit' of the IOC list, that also bannes increasing substances that are naturally found in the body (like hormones), I'de say DHEA (if it is a hormone) is banned. [/B]

I don't know if it is a hormone (HGH sure is) and yes, most people who take HGH also take DHEA.

Our food is so contaminated with chemicals and antibiotics that I wouldn't be surprised if there are things in our body that could have gotten there by simply eating and not taking them consciously.

As regards Tom's situation, on his website he says that the quantity of metoprolol found is 1000th of that needed to influence his performance, so don't jump to any conclusions.

I wonder if we all took doping tests, how many of us would be carrying trace quantities of banned substances?

Exaggerating a bit it could get to the point that one couldn't enter into a pharmacy or doctor's office during the six months preceding a competition, simply because one would breathe in all sorts of substances. :head

We live in a very poisoned world.

Adrian

Reactions: Kars
Originally posted by Adrian
Our food is so contaminated with chemicals and antibiotics that I wouldn't be surprised if there are things in our body that could have gotten there by simply eating and not taking them consciously.

As regards Tom's situation, on his website he says that the quantity of metoprolol found is 1000th of that needed to influence his performance, so don't jump to any conclusions.

I wonder if we all took doping tests, how many of us would be carrying trace quantities of banned substances?

Exaggerating a bit it could get to the point that one couldn't enter into a pharmacy or doctor's office during the six months preceding a competition, simply because one would breathe in all sorts of substances. :head

We live in a very poisoned world.

I fear more the mental poisoning and the hypocrisy

Un saludo socio. :D

Adrian

Any new info about Tom SIETAS and his record attempt if it has been disallowed and if he has made a statement why it might of been found in his system?

Originally posted by hypoxiajunkie
how long would it take EPO to clear out of one's body?

I believe the current urine tests are 3-12 days.

Since the effects on RBC are longer lived the cycling agencies will also put you on a health leave if your hemocrit goes too high.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT