• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Barotrauma

spearup

Dec 28, 2021
Hi everyone,I was on a dive almost to 7 meters,when descending I felt a pain in my ear, I immediately aborted the dive and got back to the surface,I had pain in my right ear and the morning when I was about waking up and the alarm started to ring I heard the ringtone like a guitar out of tune,it continued by hearing almost all sounds like that,I went to the ENT he said I have barotrauma.He prescribed me cortisone and antibiotics he said not to worry it will be ok because I did not delay going to him and begin the treatment.It is been 4 days but I still have that annoying vibrations in my ear I cannot hear clean.so my question is,did that happen to anybody before?if yes what he did and finally what was the result.thanks in advance

The ENT was correct that the vast majority of barotrauma, especially if quickly treated, should resolve fine. However, divers run into so really odd reactions to barotrauma, so don't feel like he was wrong or you are crazy. Unfortunately, odd diver reactions are highly individualistic, so finding someone else with similar symptoms may not tell you much.

One question. Did the ENT have a way to examine the inner ear bones? Its rare, but severe diving barotrauma can damage the connections between these bones and/or dislocate them, resulting in long lasting, sometimes permanent, damage.

I had a similar experience in Hawaii, and the Otolaryngologist did not seem to have a way to examine the inner ear bones; which was very disconcerting. You would think a big hospital in Hawaii (Tripler) where these kinds of injuries often occur among service members, would have that capability.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT