• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Barramundi in Maharastrha

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tamoshee

me and the deep blue sea
Jan 1, 2004
2 snappers and a barramundi shot in coastal water in about 3 metres in Maharastrha, India. Sorry about the technisub advertisement, the mask and knife give an idea of size. The barra was about 9 pounds and was delicious!

Shot with a Seacsub Asso 90 pneumatic gun with a float.

Thanks to the Indian Army officers guarding the harbour and piers for not shooting me, believe me your World War II Lee Endfield rifles scared me more than I could have worried you (i was the first spearfisherman to have made an appearance in their water and I think that they initially thought I may have been laying mines or something until I popped up with a snapper)

David

Attachments

• dscn1118.jpg
    dscn1118.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 425
Reactions: OceanSwimmer
here in florida the large fish is comparable to snook while the other two fish are very similar to Mutton Snapper. its amazing that the fish have such a similar appearnce while being so far away :)

Hi Ahoyhoy239
Ive heard of snook before, its probably the same species!? Barramundi is the Australian name for this fish, here in India they call it Chaunock. The Snappers the locals call Tamoshee, which means "red one" in the restauants they sell it as red snapper but like you I think its some other kind of snapper, Ive always guessed a mangrove jack, perhaps someone else will know, anyhow both fish are world class eating!

Barramundi is very similar to our snook. It goes up in to estuaries and mangroves. The other two look just like mangrove snapper. What's the name of the snapper looking fish in Hindi or Maharati? May be it is even the same species (even though I doubt it).

Angelos

hi

Bloody nice barra mate didn't even realise they got em over in India :cool:

cheers

Frogman, In Hindi they call the snapper "Tamoshee" which translates to "red-one...." Ivan the Barra's in India reach perhaps 30Kg In Oz you get them even bigger, spearing a big one would be a real challenge because they are legendary for the fight they put up, even large ones will leap high out of the water to escape a hook or spear

hi

The world record barra caught on line was taken at Lake Tinaroo on the atherton tablelands which is only bout 2 hours from my house back home. It weighed just over 37kilos if I remember correctly. This lake has freakish sized fish, they have started to put mangrove jack in their as well so who knows how big the jacks will grow in this lake.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT