• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Barrel Flex!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alexanderXP

May 27, 2005
Haha.... nothing happend if you where hopping to see a flexed barrel: not now!

Please help me guys. I want to get the Omer EXCALIBUR 2000 (aluminium) 110cm .... should I? I will mostly hunt standart fish... you know, Turkey, Greece... nothing special.

I will order it defenetly from this site:

http://www.subprof.com/tienda/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=504

Well... I read that alu. barrels may flex (much easier compared to carbon) if too much pressure acts on it (e.g. use ~20mm bands). So, is it possible to support the barrel in some form (tune)???like putting something inside the barrel for extra suppot (e.g. a thick wooden bar,which would make the barrel a bit hevier or unbalanced, but make it stronger) ?

How does that sound like:confused: ?When i get the gun... i will experiment a bit.

Last edited:
Hi Alex I dont think you will need to modify a Ormer gun, they have a very good reputation, dont forget to check the Deeper Blue shop.

Good gun, I have the 100cm carbonium and an 83cm carbon mimetic.
Don't put anything inside the barrell, it would be a mess, and useless too. Basically it's a lightweight gun, but the alu tube could be a bit heavy on the 110. However, I don't think it may flex: it's a gun designed for "moderated" rubber bands (16 to 18mm) so if you don't overpower it, the barrell will endure the force.
For a 110 I think that carbon can be better. You may get an Excalibur with carbon barrell at a cheap price (93 euro + 23 euro shipping) at this store on line (I may recommend it: bought stuff from them and had nothing to complain about):
http://www.tuttopescamare.com/catalogo/articoli.asp?codice=C00378.1
the site is in italian, but you may phone and they speak english

Personally I dont think there is much difference between a carbon and ali barrel once your in the water, they both have the same diameter so the amount of drag stays exactly the same. Please feel free to correct me if Im wrong here. The flex will come in if you overpower your gun then you can either get flex on the barrel, or flex on the spear with the spear buckling in to the barrel or away from it. I have a rabi 1.1 apex with ali barrel and rail and I know guys with this rail on a 75 gun with 20 or even 2x16mm rubbers and according to them the rail keeps the whole thing aligned and very accurate. But hey its all irelevant at the end as long as you can get your fish! :)
Save Diving

soljah said:
hey spaghetti, how do you like the carbonium and carbon mimetic?
Thanks for asking: it's a big adverting opportunity you gave me*rofl
-The carbonium 100 is my flagship gun and has been serving me perfectly for years. On days of decent visibility underwater, it's the perfect primary gun for my kind of hunting (reef ambush and aspetto to maximum 15 kg fish). I'm ok with it, 'coz I don't need very powerful or particularily accurate guns: I prefer handy, lightweight, smooth tracking ones, and in this category the excalibur carbonium is one of the best.
-About the Carbon Mimetic, I bought it two weeks ago and used it only during Easter holidays in a lake. Low visibility (3/6 meters), but speared good freshwater fish with it: 5kg tench, 2,5kg black bass, 6kg pike. It's the same gun, but shorter and in blu color, very beatiful.
BUT then I fell in love with the Omer XXV and changed my mind, so I put my Carbon Mimetic for sale.
*[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=65845"]Omer carbon + accessories for sale[/ame]

This post is not about OMER, I just wanted to say that alu guns with integrated rail (one piece barrel+rail) can endure enormous power without flexing. Most alu barrels can withstand 20mm rubbers if they are meant for gun of specific length. Don't use too short 20mm rubbers and all guns will be ok!

alexanderXP said:
Haha.... nothing happend if you where hopping to see a flexed barrel: not now!
Please help me guys. I want to get the Omer EXCALIBUR 2000 (aluminium) 110cm .... should I? .
:confused: You're right. It's a post about the Excalibur rofl

OOPS! sorry Alexx, I accidentally "cut" the full text of my post.
That is: you're right, but if a gun packs "enormous" power as you say, it must have also an adequate mass to absorb the related recoil. Which means: heavier gun, harder to track, less handy.
The Excalibur is just a different category: maybe less powerful and even less "accurate", but better to handle. So what's better? It depends on the kind of hunting. Big mass, powerful guns are to prefer for aspetto to big fish, lighter ones are far much better for agguato to fishes like bass, mullets, giltheads etc.

spaghetti said:
That is: you're right, but if a gun packs "enormous" power as you say, it must have also an adequate mass to absorb the related recoil. Which means: heavier gun, harder to track, less handy.
The Excalibur is just a different category: maybe less powerful and even less "accurate", but better to handle. So what's better? It depends on the kind of hunting. Big mass, powerful guns are to prefer for aspetto to big fish, lighter ones are far much better for agguato to fishes like bass, mullets, giltheads etc.

I totaly agree with you! I just wanted to mention that if someone is worried about flexing, he/she should consider buying something like alu Pathos Open Pro. It is much cheaper than carbon, but very hard to flex. For anything more than 100cm and 2x16mm I would recomend wooden gun!

Although, there is one monocoque carbon gun that can be compared with wood, Bleutec. I saw it on Zagreb Sport and Nautics Fair this winter, and I was fascinated! It has integrated rail, very massive and profiled body... It looks like wooden gun. But the price was way too high, cca 30% more than a good wooden gun :(

If so, it's very hard to match the perfection of a C4 Monoscocca. I've had the privilege to shoot one of those fantastic guns: light, easy tracking, powerful, surgery accurate, don't flex even if you pray in chinese, because it's made whole in one single piece of carbon (no junction betwen barrel and handle: it's all solid carbon fiber 3mm thick)...But I never found the strength to spend 380 euros for a single gun...

Scocca is probably the best Euro gun, so easy to handle but also very good for aspetto. I tried 100cm with single 18mm, it is so easy to move! Is there any review for double rubber version? Because of thick carbon it is quite heavy, and the profile guarantees very low recoil. I think it might be good with double rubbers. Did anyone try it?

Alexx said:
Scocca is probably the best Euro gun, so easy to handle but also very good for aspetto. I tried 100cm with single 18mm, it is so easy to move! Is there any review for double rubber version? Because of thick carbon it is quite heavy, and the profile guarantees very low recoil. I think it might be good with double rubbers. Did anyone try it?
I think Miles could be the right man for your question (if I remember well he has a C4 Monoscocca and shoots huge tuna with the same tranquillity with which I shoot curvinas).
Me I just have knowledge of cheap range guns :-(

I'm a student, so I know what are you talking about:waterwork

Our Croatian usenet group "hr.rec.ronjenje" is very vivid group, so people who were disappointed with prices of wooden guns organised themselves and made their own guns! I think maybe 30 or 40 of them!!! They used trigger concept from www.arbalegno.com (Balestraio) and made it for less than 20€ at professional workshop! Fully equipped 110cm wooden gun with 2x16, 6.5, and reel costs cca 170-200€!!! That's the power of "do it yourself" work. Many of those people are my friends, and I must say the guns are looking great. The season has just started so we'll see how will they behave under water.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT