• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Baseline Spirometery & BP readings

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ADR

Jan 21, 2004
I was walking past a doctors surgery this afternoon and decided it was about time I got some baseline readings done and now that I have them I have no idea what they mean. Can someone help please?

Spirometery:
Without packing FVC - 5.8L, 119% of pred value
With Packing FVC - 7.3L, 150% of pred value

Blood Pressure:
Before Packing - 130/90
With Packing - 130/100
After/without Packing 130/85

They also put my age (34), weight 80kg(without clothes it would have been 77) and my height 175cm in to the machine, why was that?

Any comments on what to do with these values and what they mean both would be appreciated.

thanks

Andy

Reactions: Jersey Jim
34 for views of this post but no feedback yet..........any comment would be appreciated

thanks

Andy
It looks like no one answered today so I'll take a stab at it.
FVC is the amount of air you exhaled 5.8 and 7.3 liters. The 119 and 150 are your percentage of air compared with 'normal' (just under 5 liters) for your size, age, etc. BTW no medical training here so I'm just repeating what I've read.
Those numbers and enough practice will get you to over 70 meters. The blood pressure is very close to mine so you'll probably have another thirty years or more of diving.
Aloha
Bill

Hello
they enter you detail into the machine, because they have collect past data to setup a base line average for your age height and weight.

Other than that I couldn't give any more details then what bill has already givin for your FVC. As for the blood pressure don't have a clue:confused:

personally I don't go on number purely, becuase everyone is different. What works for someone may not get the same results for someone different. Obviouse I know, but the main thing to do is practice and your boby will adapt in it's own best way.

Take for an example Pipin and Loic! Two (seemingly) different divers in both body type and (possibly) diving phylosiphy. Yet they are both sled diving to similar depths!!!

You've been quiet for a while Sam!?!

Another point to those above is that (and to risk sounding cliched here) with regards to being able to dive deep and equalise, it doesn't really matter how big your lungs are, it is more a question of how small your Resdiual volume in your lungs is. Your doctor will probably not have easy access to the apparatus to be able to measure that.

Ben

thanks ben, bam bam and bill, I think I'll get myself tested every couple of months and see if packing and pack stretching does anything to my packed and unpacked numbers over time.

Bill (Old guy) after the great help you've given a buddy of mine...Walrus, if you ever plan to come to Sydney let me know and we will look after you. Thanks for the comments on this post to. Being relatively new to this sport/lifestyle I guess I have the advantage of being able to track big changes in the early stages of improving. Wal has helped me heaps to date but unfortunately is with you at the moment....or did he leave today? so I'm a bit without easy access to good advice at the moment.

Andy

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT