• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

basic apena question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

blues_diver

Pinoy Deeper Blue Member
Jun 7, 2002
Hello all,

A little help…
I know that the total time you are able to hold your breath while being completely still does not equal the total time you are moving.
So say that if I am able to hold my breath for 3mins while lazily sitting on the couch, how does that translate approximately underwater (both static and dynamic)?
Thanks in advance for the answers.

Padayon,

Blues Diver

Hi Blues Diver,

I've seen others say that their Dive time is up to half their static. For me it's always been more like a third. ie My statics between 5:30 - 6:00, when diving in the ocean usually do between 1:30 - 2:00. On a long dynamic - constantly swimming I rarely go above 1:30.

Swimming faster will give you a shorter time, slower a longer time.
Depends heaps on your fitness and technique. That's why you can't really work out what someone can do in terms of depth or distance from their static.

I used to practise swimming slow dynamics in the pool. For recreational diving the longer you stay down, the more stuff you see. But then you don't want to got too slow kicking down, and coming back up. It's whilst on the bottom I plod around kicking lighty to stay down longer playing with the fishes. :D

Cheers,
Wal

hey there wal

Thanks Wal,

That really helps a lot, I think I'll follow the conservative estimate.
A follow up quesiton if you will.
If an average person holds his/her breath while walking is there a rough approximation on how deep that would translate underwater using fins?
As you may have already guessed, I am not able to dive or swim as often as I want to...then again with our shared passion for the ocean, perhaps we all feel that way :)
I really appreciate your help.

Padayon,

hey walrus and guys

im a bit like you although i can do just over 5min on couch when spearfishing i cant go longer than 45sec, in dynamic without fins the longest ive gone was 1:24 but usually much less. hey wouldnt it be able to be good to do a dynamic of half your static for me i would be able to swim constantly for 2:30. ive also heard this for every 1min you can hold your breath is equal to 10m depth, this means id be able to dive 50m very unlikely.

cheers

Yeh I've heard the 1 min = 10 meters before. It's more that you have the Potential to dive 50m with a 5 min static. The static tells you that you have breath holding abillity, but the depth relies heavily on fitness and technique.

ie, an unfit person could have really good breatholding ability, and do a 4 or 5 minute static, but definitely not dive 50m.

I'm at a sticking point for statics, but dynamics and depths are still improving. I'm hoping to go beyond my 1 min - 10 meter potential, I've already surpased this in an equivalent dynamic.

There are quite a few people that are doing the 80m+ depths now, and only some can do 8min statics.

Look at Eric Fattah last year, he did 82m (88 in training) yet his statics were less then 7 min. He is still training so I'm sure his figures have improved by now.

Cheers,
Wal

Blues Diver
The ratio of static/dynamic time varies greatly with individual divers. In my case it's over 4/1. In 2000 the doctors ordered no swimming for almost eight of the calendar months, so I practiced dry statics. I'm sure that's a factor. Some very good divers just don't enjoy statics.
It all comes down to specifics. The training manual used to say "train your weakness and race your strength". Good aerobic fitness helps too.
If you haven't seen Eric's formula, I think he put a lot of thought into it. Not sure but,
Constant=3/4 of (dynamic distance in meters minus 22).
You can swim 25 meters, stop for 30 seconds and swim 50 meters to simulate a 45 meter constant. If you scale this up or down it will still probably be a useful tool.
Aloha
Bill

Blues_Diver:
For myself, I observed somewhere around 1/3 also. On exeptional static days, I have hit 5:40, and exeptional days in the water have hit barely over 2:00. Usually my statics are around 4:30 & in water 1:15 to 1:30. So that's about 1/3. I noticed breathups are very important. Be sure to exhale fully, to purge all the co2 you can, so as not to "dilute" the fresh oxygen. I consider myself in good shape for 40, run 6-7 miles, am 160 lbs., 5'-10.5". So I hope this gives you some insight as to what to expect with all of the good input from the group. Sorry to discourage you, but this is usually what happens in the water. Oh, the cold will zap your oxygen also, especially if you begin to shiver, forget any decent bottom time.
Safe diving,
Jim

hi

I guess imnot fit that may be why I cant dive deep, and I dont train for anything except dry statics. I went to the pool though and did 72m dynamic without finswhich is far better than my 50m with fins, this is because my fins are body boarders 28cm blade. I also think equalising has limited my depth i only have small lungs and my air runs out at the bottom, ive found that lung capacity isnt really much of a concern in statics I think its more a mental thing, eg my uncle has a lung capacity near 8 litres he is a big guy but I can hold my breath way longer than him.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT