• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bass new size limits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
This might sound like a dumb question, but why is throwing bass back wasting them ?

fishermen will not be allowed to land bass
This might sound like a dumb question, but why is throwing bass back wasting them ?
fisherman as in trawlers, by the time the nets are brought in the fish will be dead. The size limit only applies to the UK.

YakDiver said:
fisherman as in trawlers, by the time the nets are brought in the fish will be dead. The size limit only applies to the UK.

Not just trawlers, this new size limit applies to everyone. Trawlers, Anglers and Spearo's.

ive read that the effects will be reviewed 2010,when a futher increase to 45 cm could implemented. Something to do with the average spawning size of bass!

This is all hoplessly a complete load of bollox whilst pair trawlers are allowed to descend upon the massive shoals of bass which are mating around the Channel Islands in the Winter. Like using a water pistol to put out a forest fire. Idiots :head

Spaniard said:
This is all hoplessly a complete load of bollox whilst pair trawlers are allowed to descend upon the massive shoals of bass which are mating around the Channel Islands in the Winter. Like using a water pistol to put out a forest fire. Idiots :head

Like using a water pistol to put out a forest fire? More like a fart in a gale!

Absolutely bloody right. It's not the taking of small fish that's the problem its the 150 tons plus taken from the spawning grounds off our west coast by so called amatuer and proffesional "anglers" plus God knows how many tons taken by the pair trawlers. Absolute lunacy.

Dave

Reactions: Spaniard
I reakcon they should ban the trawlers and pay us to shoot the little bleeders!

I don't know how we are suppose to measure a bass before we shoot it, but I don't think they will bend the rules for us

Reactions: Pastor
It can be difficult to estimate the size of a fish, sometimes I loose all sense of proportion and think a fish is a lot bigger than I imagine it to be. Dont think Ive ever shot an undersized fish but I have come close once or twice. I think the new size limits will actually make it easier and certaily more of a challenge :) For us at least but a load more wasted fish from the trawlers

Reactions: Mr. X
The article also mentions a 10cm mesh limit. Is that a change, or just a re-statement of the existing limit?

Does the law apply to foreign boats (whatever that means these days) in UK waters? What about if UK boats choose to land their catch elsewhere (say France or Spain)? Will the bass breeding grounds discussed by our Guernsey friends be covered by this new law?

The idea of phasing in new limits might not be a bad idea. It will make easier for professionals to plan/adapt without a precipitous ruining of their livelihoods. Especially, if they see a consistent policy of tightening extending into the future. Also, if the new limits turn out to be counter-productive (if fishermen take more of the breeding stock to replace catche of smaller fish) - it will allow policy to be revised. Although waiting 4 years (until 2010) before reviewing this again seems imprudent. Hopefully they will monitor this continuously or at least every year.

Pastor said:
It can be difficult to estimate the size of a fish, sometimes I loose all sense of proportion and think a fish is a lot bigger than I imagine it to be.

I try to imagine the bass on my dinner plate to get an idea of size. :)

In the daytime I can judge my fish reasonably well. Although everyone is human and can make the odd mistake :naughty .

Night diving provides a particular problem. All the fish I've caught at night have looked much bigger than they turned out to be. At night I tend to measure flatfish before I spear them. I use a hand span (9inches) to estimate their size. I hold my hand an inch or so above them and like to see them 2 inches past my finger tips. Ed (Portinfer) has marked a scale on his gun and uses it as a ruler to measure flatties at night. Not easy to do to bass or red mullet though, as even at night they tend not to let you get quite as close as 1 inch (usually only get to within 3 inches :) ).

Dave

gutshot said:
I try to imagine the bass on my dinner plate to get an idea of size. :)
rofl rofl
Jeez if I took that approach all my fish would be Tesco size! My freekin missus has got me on a diet! my plate is sodin tiny!

Hey Pastor, that's not fat it's "essential oil"!

Mr. X said:
Hey Pastor, that's not fat it's "essential oil"!

My arse mate! If we had white pointers here I would be a prime target now rofl gone from a 34" waist to a 42" in the last year the pasty has gone ballistic (the missus). Mind you this diet sh|t has it's bonus' I had a pea for dinner this evening rofl

cant believe some of the responses to this thread!! We all know that the netters are a massive problem...but how can anyone moan about them, when they dont even have their own morals right!! I dont understand how people cant get it!! If the minimum size that a bass can reproduce is 42 cm, and everyone is taking them below that size...well dur!! eventually there wont be any left to take!! Seems pretty obvious really!! :headIts very easy to get into the mindset that "I only take a few", but if everyone takes this view...well, you do the maths!! All those potential breeders taken out of the sea!! Lets think about the size of fish we shoot...and if we are unsure that its big enough, wait for a bigger one!! Next time you shoot a bass under 42cm, just think that you may as well have killed all the fry that could have been produced from that fish too!! Rant over!!

Having gone back and read thru the thread i suggest you do the same. There are 2 users who mention about the trawlers being the problem. Now you seem to be throwing everyone here into the same group of fish fry killers!!

The way i read it was that people agree with the size limit but they choose to bitch about the trawlers (and quite rightly so!!) and jest about the size of farmed bass in the shops. Some even questioned how to measure up a bass before a shot. I don't think i read anything along the lines of "sod the new size limit, i shoot fry"!

All we need now are the other two users to make us aware of their position. Fishy kiddie fiddlers or not fishy kiddie fiddlers.

Oh, and before you miss read my other reply,...... my plates are bloody big and i like to see them full!!:t

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT