• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bass new size limits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
fair enough, but it still seems that if people are having to measure up their fish, they are still trying to make sure their fish are just within the limit, rather than nicely over the limit, and over the minimum breeding size. Thats just my point, the limit is currently 40cm, and the minimum breeding size is 42, and I just think that we should be trying to shoot over 42 cm, so that the fish has at least ha a chance to breed before it dies!

Minimum size in Sussex Waters (Dungerness to Hayling Island) voluntary agreement between Sussex Spearfishing club and Sussex Sea Fisheries Committe. 45cm

regards Kev

Last edited:
Thats great news!!! What a good idea! That kinda supports my point too...just because theres a legal minimum which is set too low coz of people like mr bradshaw who have their heads up their ass%s, doesnt mean we cant think about our seas future ourselfs! I hope more clubs and local sea fisheries agencies start taking note and doing the same!!

cant believe some of the responses to this thread!! We all know that the netters are a massive problem...but how can anyone moan about them, when they dont even have their own morals right!! I dont understand how people cant get it!! If the minimum size that a bass can reproduce is 42 cm, and everyone is taking them below that size...well dur!! eventually there wont be any left to take!! Seems pretty obvious really!! :headIts very easy to get into the mindset that "I only take a few", but if everyone takes this view...well, you do the maths!! All those potential breeders taken out of the sea!! Lets think about the size of fish we shoot...and if we are unsure that its big enough, wait for a bigger one!! Next time you shoot a bass under 42cm, just think that you may as well have killed all the fry that could have been produced from that fish too!! Rant over!!
Lucky we have an expert (moral compass?) to put us right on the morals. I did the maths: if we all take the same number of fish but only take 42cm (or 45cm) and up -- then we will kill more "breeders", not less.;)
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_consequence"]Law of Unintended Consequences[/ame]
(But of course, you won't get the opportunity to shoot as many big fish and you wouldn't need as many to "fill your freezer box").

Last edited:
We have the same kinds of Regs on Black Basses and Walleye here in the freshwater lakes of the U.S. It's called a "spear and release" policy by we spearos! all you can do is stick a rock in the fish's mouth and sink it if it's too small. i try and be conservative.... but 14" and 16" don't look all that different 8' away underwater. idiots that write these regs.... we already only get half as many fish in our limit as the HnL guys, but then we have to abide by the same length limits also?! complete idiocy.

Looks like the government copped out:

"The proposed increase of the bass mls to 40 cms announced by the Fisheries Minister, Ben Bradshaw MP in August 2006 was NOT introduced on 7 April 2007. On 19 March 2007 the National Federation Of Fishermen's Organisations (NFFO) met with the Minister to discuss their concerns over the proposed increase in bass mls and the impact it would have on their livelihoods, etc. The Minister agreed to SUSPEND the decision to increase the bass mls to 40cms on 7 April 2007, pending his consideration of the concerns expressed by the NFFO and the looking at new evidence not already assessed in the Regularity Impact Assessment produced last summer. To date we are waiting for DEFRA and the Minister to make a final announcement which was due in the middle to late May 2007. Numerous approaches have been made to DEFRA since with the same old reply "We are examining the evidence thoroughly so as to arrive at the correct conclusion and the Minister will make his announcement soon" .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT