• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

BBC Bass Recipes...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Just noticed the BBC website has some interesting recipes, including a fair variety of Bass recipes (a 3 pages of them in fact):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/...onfig=ingredientname&page=1&pagesize=15&Id=63

Many sound interesting, including:
Roasted sea bass with pastis and a Camargue rice risotto
Chinese style sea bass
Mediterranean sea bass
Grilled sea bass with beurre blanc and marsh samphire
Poached sea bass with exotic mushrooms and haricots vert (one for Foxfish who is going mushroom hunting soon).

Last edited:
I tried pan fried with buerre blanc the other day. Very tasty:p

All sounds very tasty wish I could find a bass to try one on. :head

Reactions: Mr. X
Last edited:
I'd like to know where it grows wild. I guess one would need to wander around some estuaries.

Fortunately for lazy sods like me its available in Honiton's fish mongers and Sidmouth in the market:p

Reactions: Mr. X
Sunday Telegraph today - Jamie Oliver's non-endangered fish recipes

The Sunday Telegraph today has non-endangered fish recipes (mackeral, etc.) by Jamie Oliver (thought he was in line for knighthood -- perhaps he's shooting for sainthood now?!). The article is in the colour magazine, Stella.

[Other interesting stories today: P12 migrants caught near carp pond with spear gun & snorkels; Leeds tops food poisoning table.]

Last edited:
I'd like to know where it grows wild. I guess one would need to wander around some estuaries...
Re. samphire: I found some last year, at one of my favourite spots. In fact, I had been placing my gear on top of it for the last 6 months without even noticing. (I was tipped off by an image in Mike Ladle's fishing diary). There was no estuary, it was just growing among the rocks at the top of the beach. Best to cut it, rather than pull it, so the plant can grow on.

My wife has once cooked this traditional Armenian fish meal, using bass filet. Was real tasty (but other fish can do too)

Fish Kchuch is a dish from national Armenian cuisine. This is fish fillet in wine, baked with vegetables in a crockery pot. Hot spices give unique piquancy to the dish.

Grease the pot with butter. Put the following layers on the bottom:sliced onion, diced tomatoes and pepper. Then season with all peppers, put fish slices and cover with the layers of vegetables. Season with other spices and pour over wine. Make stiff dough from flour and water and shape a cover for the pot. Cover tightly and bake in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.

Ingredients
1 kg fish fillet.
5 ea onion.
100 g butter.
4 ea tomato.
4 ea sweet red pepper.
1/2 c white grape wine.
10 ea black pepper pea.
1/2 ts ground red pepper.
3 tb tarragon.
2 ts salt.
dough for the cover.

Reactions: James Jay
My wife has once cooked this traditional Armenian fish meal, using bass filet. Was real tasty (but other fish can do too)

Fish Kchuch is a dish from national Armenian cuisine. This is fish fillet in wine, baked with vegetables in a crockery pot. Hot spices give unique piquancy to the dish.

Grease the pot with butter. Put the following layers on the bottom:sliced onion, diced tomatoes and pepper. Then season with all peppers, put fish slices and cover with the layers of vegetables. Season with other spices and pour over wine. Make stiff dough from flour and water and shape a cover for the pot. Cover tightly and bake in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.

Ingredients
1 kg fish fillet.
5 ea onion.
100 g butter.
4 ea tomato.
4 ea sweet red pepper.
1/2 c white grape wine.
10 ea black pepper pea.
3 tb tarragon.
2 ts salt.
dough for the cover.
That's cool, I think we actually have all of the ingredients in house.

Ingredients
1 kg fish fillet.
5 ea onion.
100 g butter.
4 ea tomato.
4 ea sweet red pepper.
1/2 c white grape wine.
10 ea black pepper pea.
3 tb tarragon.
2 ts salt.
dough for the cover.
That's cool, I think we have all of the ingredients in house.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT