• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beach spearfishing spot's from south of pompono to key west

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gman080788

Great White Spearo
Jun 3, 2007
Hey guys i wanted to start a thread about good legal spots to hunt south of pompono to key west for those of us who dont have the luxury of using a boat and have to swim out from the beach. I personally haven't fished that much in south florida but i will be in the Fort lauderdale area for the summer and I think that us guys on this site are all doin a little bit of networking and new interesting spots benefits a little bit for everyone.. so hopefully in this thread we can meet some dive buddies and get some new spots..

Hollywood/Dania Beach 500 yds out, Bear cut area KB walk/swim about a mile small ledges with lobsters and shootable fish, you might even stumble onto the wreck over there:friday

How far off the shoreline do we have to be?? Ive heard around 300yards :confused:

well my favorite spot is on key west at the pier to the left of the one in front of the wyndam reach's private beach if your standing on on the beach... it's a public pier in which you can't fish off of but spear fishing underneath is allowed . always loaded with fish everytime ive been there its absolutely full and about a 100 ft off the end of the pier there are some good coral heads good lobster's... the last time i was there i got two grouper 5 mangrove snapper and maxed out on lobsters... probably the best shallow spot ive ever fished ... when i went there i was like there is no way a spot this good is legal to fich but i asked a DNR officer and he was like just bring a bouy and don't shoot the snook and your fine i was like damn and there is the best beach diving spot i know in south florida ...as well as sugar loaf key under the bridge across from sugar loaf lodge

Bear Cut in Key Biscayne second Bridge (the low one, next to the marina) head east under the bridge thats the "cut" swing South...careful with the flats:crutch

Last edited:
Damn you Steel your prob the guy that hits up some of my spots!! :vangry......... :t

Yep I probably am...you must be the Barber Guy ' cause I always end up culling fish with Mohawksrofl...not to worry dude I always leave some for the one-uppers...gonna try and green some water 2morrow...gonna see if I can nail some with your name on them...weed:martialline been forming off the Cut

we hit it Fri water was lousy, no vis so managed a few fish in the bay...Sat we nailded a few Mahi's in the Blue to 36",,,,,sweeet:martial

So you nailed some sweet mahi huh..... sweet and congrats haha! Can't wait to go out there and nail some myself, how did you manage it? Any pics?? Also is it ok to spear inside of BNP?

I finally made it out on Sat with my buddy down south, we had to work hard to find the fish but we managed 4 hogs and 2 mangroves. Vis was great but the fish were in hiding. Oh and yea I saw the biggest moray eel I have ever seen, 7ft or so and fat o_O

yeah man those morays are scary&fugly...you can spear inside BNP, but we weren't in the Park we headed outa Bearcut about 3 miles, found a weedline a bud had been tracking since last week....he guessestimated by Fri-Sun it would be well formed and he was right...it was easy pickin' we saw a few 'hoos, and smokers but they did not present a comfy shot, so I passed...saw a couple of HUGE tripletails floatin' round shook fins and moved on:headwater is warming up thats a good thing hoping to head out sometime again this week....someone say 'hoos your daddy....no pics camera down, hope by next outing I'll have the 1000 words!

Cool deal steel! Those tripletail are oogly but are great table fair :inlove

You bet I'm guna be out there soon, need to live up to my name haha!! :martial

Cool deal steel! Those tripletail are oogly but are great table fair :inlove

You bet I'm guna be out there soon, need to live up to my name haha!! :martial

sal gooood! would have liked to pop one of them boys, they are great eatin' wonder why illegal to spear?

off key west you can take kayaks off smathers beach, go .7 miles and be on coral heads in 15 ft deep. and SLAY the hogfish, since my boat wont be ready for three weeks, my son and i have been slaying the hogs, i will post pics. the two hogs i am holding were two of nine i got that day ,(last sat.)myself. none were huge but hogfish is so good, once i start, i am filling the cooler, as long as it is legal!my son shot 3 , the weekend before. my buddy has 4 great kayaks, if anyone makes it down to "where the road ends"

Attachments

• spearfishing w dennis march 08 006.jpg
    spearfishing w dennis march 08 006.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 203
  • jayson fish and dive pics 020.jpg
    jayson fish and dive pics 020.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 188
"where the road ends"
and the fun begins...WTG:martialJKW...howz'bout a smile for the birdie next timerofl...I've been temted to head over KW for a few days, hit Tav. a couple of weeks and put the hurt on a few fish

not in florida yet but here's my on of my mahi from this summer in italy

Attachments

• l_fb494dffde4e1fd7dba0af09132ea434.jpg
    l_fb494dffde4e1fd7dba0af09132ea434.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 192
yeah man im moving to miami for the summer ill be there be the first of june if your up for goin out man im in... any ways man i hate to cut this short i got to go back to work

Reactions: jtkwest
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT