• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner Fin Blade Stiffness?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bolts

Jun 1, 2004
Hey all,

Did a little researching here on the DB forums, and I'm wondering what people's preferences are with regards to stiffness of fins for a beginner.

I'm looking at a pair of Sporasub Elite fins. The footpockets seem to fit fine with my 3mm sock, but there are two types of blades available, a stiff blade and a not so stiff blade.

Being a newbie, I'm wondering if there's anything else I should consider before plunking down my coin? :duh I guess I'm wondering which blade stiffness you would recommend getting?

Dammit...meant to post that in the "Equipment" section. Oops... :duh Can this be moved?

Hi Bolts,

It does depend, I think, whether you are an experienced "kicker" in general. Have you done much swimming? Are you ankles relatively flexible? Are your kicking muscles robust?

Softer fins and much practice will help you adopt a better kicking technique (flutter-style, not bicycle), but I find a problem with many bi-fins (especially plastic) is that if they are too soft they are incredibly inefficient, twisting sideways and generally not gripping the water very well (holding a good shape for generating lift/thrust).

If you have poor technique, however, stiff fins will be unforgiving and I imagine will hamper your efforts to get better.

So I guess the solution is "medium" and then as your technique and proficiency improves you can try harder and softer fins. If possible, try other people's fins for diving before you plunk down a couple of hundred bucks.

I have a pair of waterways (with finswimming footpockets) and I enjoy them (but not as much as the monofin).

Good luck,

Pete Scott
Vancouver, BC

Hey Bolts:
I would suggest you to go for the stiff blade and just train to get your legs addapted to the fins if its necessary. Everything is just trainning and technique.

Cheers,

Roberto

Pd: if you ever want to try the sporas, I have the black stiff blades here, just let me know.

rcerdena said:
Hey Bolts:
I would suggest you to go for the stiff blade and just train to get your legs addapted to the fins if its necessary. Everything is just trainning and technique. QUOTE]

Hi Rrcerdena,

I hope to meet you someday soon in Ottawa/Toronto.

For beginners who don't have good technique, stiff fins are not easy to use. Because the fins do not flex as much, the beginner has to really push hard, which a) wastes tons of energy for spearfishing or constant weight diving (fun or recreational) b) causes the dreaded bicycle kick technique, which is inefficient and causes lots of drag and c) could potentially cause injury to muscles, ligaments or tendons.

Sure "eventually" some good technique will result from using hard fins, but that's not a very fun way to learn how to use freediving fins. It all depends on a beginner's swimming background, strength and comfort. So yes, definitely try rcerdena's fins out, but also compare them to softer fins.

Cheers,

Peter Scott
Vancouver, BC

Hello Peter:
From what I have experienced, almost 80% of the beginners (spearfishing) back home, begin with the plastic stiff blades....and the ones that don't begin like that change to stiff blades not too long after beginning. This is so cause they realize that soft blades are too soft, and as you know, in spearfishing a lot of time is used in swimming (both horizontally and vertically), which demands lots of kicking and using the fins in almost all the possible positions that one can imagine...''great'' work for the muscles and tendons.

I have seen people beginning from 0 with stiff plastic blades, some can get cramps after some time, some others simply don't get cramps or problems at all...this depends on the strength and flexibility that everybody has. However, this can be improved with training.

The ones that begin and get some swimming with fins in pools, usually addapt faster to the fins and don't get problems in the real sessions.

My advice would be to go for the stiff blades, cause sonner or later the change will happen, which is costly. Besides, the winter is comming, so it's a good time to book some pool sessions and train in peace and with one's own rythm.

Hope to meet you soon too, Peter,

Cheers,

Roberto

I advice to start with soft/medium stiffness fins. I think it's a mistake that many people start with stiff ones. I don't think that stiffer(fins :))=better and that everyone should use stiffer fins at the end. Instead of moving to stiffer fins after doing well with mediums, one should consdier moving to a fiber material to get the extra improvment.

Hi bolts,

you may find some more input here: [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=50557"]C4 Falcon 15 fins[/ame]

regards,

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT